• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vuescan issue

charlie chipman

Hello.

I am scanning medium format files at 2400 dpi on a V700 using Vuescan which is relatively new software to me. Before this I had been using the silverfast software which came with the V700. I'm about to scan a good amount of pictures and don't want to have to redo it so thought I would try to clear this up first.

I scanned a couple files and went to do some editing with CS4, once I got to using unsharp mask I noticed that the Vuescan files would take very little sharpening before they became pixelated. I see they were pixelated before I sharpened them and the unsharp mask accentuated the pixelation. It looks like the files have been compressed. I tried silverfast to compare which did not give the same results.

Here are the example images, crops at 100% view. Sharpening turned off for scans.

First is the Vuescan file: bits per pixel 48bit RGB, scan DPI 2400, output as tif 48bit RGB, tif compression off (I tried jpg output and it has the same results). File as scanned on the left, unsharp mask applied on the right. As you can see the pixelation is quite noticable.

PageImage-486589-3058137-vuescan.jpg

And here is the Silverfast file, 2400dpi 48bit-->24bit mode again unsharp mask version on the right.

PageImage-486589-3058136-silverfast.jpg

The Silverfast scan looks to be much better though I find it hard to believe that Vuescan can not achieve the same results and suspect that it is user error.

Any thoughts as to what settings I might have mixed up that would cause this lower quality output file from Vuescan?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlie,

Is there a setting for antialias filter? I see the major issue is the nose edge and a spot on a hair highlight. What else is obvious to you?

There are reports of pixelization with Epson scanners that are intermittent and the solutes suggested are to re-scan at a higher resolution, but you are already way up

Ed Hamrick of Vuescan does answer all emails himself. So ask him!

Asher

charlie chipman

Hi Asher.

There is not an anti alias setting that I am aware of. I see it mainly in the high contrast areas like the bridge of his nose, the sun glass rim, etc, but I see it more mildly everywhere else as well. It looks like jpg artifacts. I suspect that it is not a scanner issue because using other software does not have the same issue.

Asher Kelman

Can you try turning the pics 90 degrees and also multiple scans so artifacts might be abolished. Also drop of an email to Hamrick himself. He will answer you!

Asher

charlie chipman

Well I've scanned multiple pictures and they all have the same outcome. I will shoot Ed an email and see what he has to say.

Thanks

Any thoughts as to what settings I might have mixed up that would cause this lower quality output file from Vuescan?

Hi Charlie,

Check your settings in the Output tab. You should set the "Printed size:" to "Scan size", and "Magnification (%):" to 100. Then avoid setting the "TIFF size reduction " to anything else than "1", for TIFF output (or similar for other output formats).

Cheers,
Bart

charlie chipman

Bart, all the settings on the Output tab are as you specified. Thanks for your input.

Asher, I have scanned multiple different pictures/scenes and they all have the same compression type artifacts. Also I have tried multipass on and off with the same results. Set the Vuescan software back to default settings and it still remains that same.

Asher Kelman

Charlie,

I'd love to hear Ed Hamrick's response. Meanwhile, just for interest, can you rotated the film 90 degrees?scan with the film rotated 45 degrees and 90 degrees. It's the slope of the nose that but be altered by the stepping under Vuescan.

Asher

charlie chipman

The film holder I'm using only holds the film in one particular fashion so I am unable to rotate the film at all unless I do not use the film holder and place it directly on the scanner glass, which uses a different lens system from what I understand. I have not tried this but it is worth pursuing I think. I will let you know what I figure out and what I hear from Ed Hamrick.

Thanks for the suggestions.