• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Upsampling quality

Hi folks,

I just wanted to share some of my findings in a quest for the best upsampling method. Some of us routinely output large format output, others may be confronted with an image that, e.g. due to cropping, just lacks the number of pixels needed for sharp looking output. I'm not addressing sharpening issues as such, although the may become part of an upsampling strategy.

Upsampling can also be used to promote an image that (almost) satisfies the 300 or 360 PPI output required(*) by our printer drivers, to a 600 or 720 PPI image, which will make a difference with smoothness of gradients and sharper output.

(*) Note: Printer drivers will interpolate all input data to allow the optimized use of their native resolutions, 300 or 600 for e.g. Canon and HP printers, 360 or 720 PPI (720 PPI requires setting the finest detail option) for Epson printers. The resampling algorithms are relatively simple compared to what can be done with image processing software.

Here is a sample (crop from an) image, taken with my 1Ds3, straight from the Raw converter, without sharpening:

7640_Crop1_100pct.jpg

Here are the 400% enlargement results of 2 different upsampling methods, Photoshop's BiCubic Smoother and Photozoom Pro's S-Spline Max.

And here are the results after 800% enlargement with BiCubic and S-Spline Max.

These sample crops are best previewed at something like 25% zoom for an approximate impression of how it would look when printed, but feel free to actually make a print to see what it really does as printed output. One can also add one's favorite output sharpening method for a more realistic comparison.

Do understand that for these last (800%) examples one is looking close-up at a fragment of 3.1 to 3.8 metres wide output (depends on printer PPI setting) from a single unsharpened 1Ds3 (36x24mm) file, which is of course not as detailed as would be possible from a larger file. However, one is not always able to shoot the scene with a slower heavier camera, or use the result from stitching. Sharpening will add some more punch to the results.

Resampling is no substitute for more real pixels, unless we don't have more pixels.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bart,

The improvement in appearance of the enlarged files is stunning. S-spline seems to be an amazing advance. But then, side by side, could one readily tell the difference of the 3 meter high picture from the 40MP Pentax, (at ~ $10,00 with lens) from the Phase One IQ 180, at 80 MP, (~ $50,000 with lens).

Asher

Bart,

The improvement in appearance of the enlarged files is stunning. S-spline seems to be an amazing advance. But then, side by side, could one readily tell the difference of the 3 meter high picture from the 40MP Pentax, (at ~ $10,00 with lens) from the Phase One IQ 180, at 80 MP, (~ $50,000 with lens).

There would be a difference between the 40 and 80 MP images (it better be for that money), but don't forget that the linear resolution difference is more like 41% in pixels, significant, but nothing like the 2x megapixel quantities would suggest.

Cheers,
Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

Joachim Bolte

Hi,

Both not bad, although in the S-spline one there is considerable aliassing on the edges between high-contrast areas (in the side of the chapel). And there is some smudging going in in the masonry.

I wonder how this would print, could be that the ink-flow in the paper will even out some of these effects. I'd probably go with bicubic, and a fair bit of oversharpening.