• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear and Gadgets: Questions on choice of the tool for the job and the lke! Computer Monitor Recommendation

I'm in the market for a new monitor. Currently have a 27" Samsung and wouldn't want anything smaller, but would like a higher quality picture. I'm thinking "the best" would be nice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael Nagel

Did both of you have a look into prad (tell me if there a similar websites as this is the only I know for this kind of comparison) to narrow down what the market offers to a reasonable number of monitors of interest? What would be an acceptable number on the price tag?

The EIZO ColorEdge CG276 is most likely a good choice, but not the cheapest one...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Did both of you have a look into prad (tell me if there a similar websites as this is the only I know for this kind of comparison) to narrow down what the market offers to a reasonable number of monitors of interest? What would be an acceptable number on the price tag?

The EIZO ColorEdge CG276 is most likely a good choice, but not the cheapest one...

Best regards,
Michael

I use an Eizo for my calibrated work, but mine doesn't have the Adobe RGB gamut of the CG276. I'd love to know whether or not the new Apple iMac 27"

So far I found this "Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite only supports 8bit/color channel (24 bit color). This is absolutely ridiculous as good monitors such as Eizo and Nec support 10 and 12 bit/color channel.

For those that push photoshop to the limit, such as working on detail in shadows, this results in banding.

A pc with proper graphics card and let's say EIZO CG276 will deliver proper colors. I know that the EIZO is only 2560 pixels"

The alleged limit of OS X Yosemite to only supporting 8 BIT color is astonishing and a disappointment. Read on in this link to Canon rumors above, as there's some interesting discussion on the issues of using and profiling wide gamut displays.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well we may not really benefit from going to a 10 BIT system right now and there's an argument that for normal artistic professional workflow, the system that works bullet proof still is 8 BIT color in general in the workflow in the computer, 16 BIT 14-16 BIT, (even 3D), look-up table in the Profiled Dell, Eizo or NEC Wide Gamut monitor and Adobe Photoshops 16BIT output to printers.

Here's a notable post from DPReview that's worth reading.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well there's a brilliant new 4K LG monitor that seems to be worth looking at. It has 99% of Adobe RGB gamut and is 10 BIT.

Windows users could perhaps benefit from this - $1.00 change from $1400!

31MU97_medium_01.jpg

Digital Cinema 4K For Your Professional Needs
31" CLASS 17:9 DIGITAL CINEMA 4K IPS LED MONITOR (31" DIAGONAL)

31MU97-B
DIGITAL CINEMA 4K RESOLUTION
IPS DISPLAY WITH ADOBE RGB OVER 99.5%
TOTAL COLOR MANAGEMENT
10-BIT COLOR DEPTH
DCP-P3 DIGITAL CINEMA COLOR STANDARD

Asher