• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some stunning shots

Tim Armes

Hi,

Sports photos don't often grab my attention and hold be breathless, but John Gruber (of daringfireball) just posted a link to this review of the Nikon D3. The review contain some wonderful photos by James Russell, so I thought I'd share.

Anyone know how the toning was achieved ? If so, then please share in the retouching forum.

Tim

Eric Hiss

James Russell is one of the best photographers I've seen - he makes anything look good. But I have noted that he likes the new nikon because after reading many posts of his on numerous forums, I know he is pretty straight about his opinions and he doesn't like everything.

Nill Toulme

I was struck by those images too, but for a different reason. To me they have a striking but very unrealistic, almost metallic look — which no doubt prompted your question about their "toning." I need to go back and read his article again, but I thought he said he shot jpg's straight out of the camera and was pleased that they needed so little processing, which I thought was very odd considering what the images look like.

Well, on re-reading they're definitely (and quite obviously) not straight out of the camera. He says: "For the finals I 'reprocessed' all the files in Adobe Lightroom to fine tune the color and look."

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Diane Fields

I was struck by those images too, but for a different reason. To me they have a striking but very unrealistic, almost metallic look — which no doubt prompted your question about their "toning." I need to go back and read his article again, but I thought he said he shot jpg's straight out of the camera and was pleased that they needed so little processing, which I thought was very odd considering what the images look like.

Well, on re-reading they're definitely (and quite obviously) not straight out of the camera. He says: "For the finals I 'reprocessed' all the files in Adobe Lightroom to fine tune the color and look."

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

and that they were for client--who obviously wanted that look. I'm betting it was for advertising client--which is what his mainstay is.

His quote at end of article. "For now I won't post any hi-res images as this is a pre-production camera and it will invariably open up the comparison discussions. The images I furnished Michael for this review are just small references and have been heavily worked in Photoshop for my clients final reproduction."