• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

More soccer with a slow camera...

Nill Toulme

My "new" 1D2N's shutter died with 39k on the odometer, so I'm back to shooting with the 1Ds2. :-(

Still finding the rhythm with the new bodies... neither of them AF's or AE's like my Mark II's did, it's kind of weird.

070909-aysa19b-026_std.jpg

070909-aysa19b-150_std.jpg

070909-aysa19b-189_std.jpg

070909-aysa19b-175_std.jpg

1Ds2, 400 f/2.8L IS, 1.4x. Complete match with EXIF and slideshow here.

Why, you may ask, was I shooting into those nasty backgrounds, backlit, with that ferocious glare coming off the cars in the parking lot? Well, because I was simultaneously shooting a U-13 game on the next field over, placed end to end. I got a little dizzy swinging back and forth.

Oh, and why are some of my horizons tilted? Because Capture One has a #$%^#^%$# bug in its arbitrary rotation that only affects the 1Ds2! Argh!

Complaining aside, I have to say I like shooting sports with the full frame body quite a lot. It lets me shoot looser because the cropping ability is just astonishing. The slower frame rate isn't bothering me at all. In fact it's forcing me to shoot in a more deliberate way instead of banging away like I have a tendency to do with the 1.25x bodies. I'd say my "keeper" rate has about doubled, in that I'm getting the same number of quality shots but shooting half as many. I had even cut the frame rate on the 1D2N back to 5fps in the short time I was using it before the shutter went belly up.

The one place where it clearly hurts though is on headers — I don't think I'll get nearly as many "compression" shots at 4fps. ;-)

The DOF is even skinnier on the full frame, and I might be losing a few more shots to soft focus as a result, but my initial impression is that's more than offset by the additional cropping room.

The other thing of course is that the files are gigantic, so download time is a lot longer and processing time is also affected somewhat.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Shane Carter

Good post Nill, thanks for the info. Very tempting to go full frame. The Mk3 files are bigger too and while not as big, the extra pixels for 'deeper' cropping is very nice. 4fps must take some getting used to tho. The shallow DOF could be a plus when bokeh is important. Did the loss of the extra apparent loss of magnification bother you? Some day will make the move to full frame. It must be really nice for other times, meaning non-sports, shooting where the extra detail about be great.

Nill Toulme

Welcome Shane! Yes, 4 fps took just a little getting used to, but it turned out that I liked it well enough to cut my Mark II N down to 5 fps also! Almost as many keepers, with a lot less to wade through to find them.

The biggest problem with the 1Ds II is the files are so darn big, it takes twice as long to do anything with them.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Marian Howell

as a sports shooter with a 5d (my main business is landcape/nature photography and sports is a sideline...) i want to reiterate nill's comments. the fps does take some getting used to :))) and as he suggested it is tougher to get particular moments without the 8fps blasting away, but the cropping possibilities are exceptional!! and i do like the shallow dof most of the time, but then i mostly shoot fine art so it may be just what i know and am comfortable with. and while you do lose the "extra magnification" of the 1.3 or 1.6 sensors, the up side is that you can use those lovely 300/400 f2.8 and crop elegantly!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Really, is there any need for the 1DIII in sports. After all, is there any practical issue that is not covered by the 1DIIN? I could imgine that the extra range in usble ISI might be important but are you failing to do the job now because of limitations of the 1DIIN?

BTW, is the N anything more than the larger sensor?

Asher

Now Will Thompson has bought the 1DIII, the D40 (returned it) and was first to have his name down for hte 1DsIII. Canon has to love this!

Shane Carter

On the Mk3, I do like the higher ISO range (useable) and the IQ is stronger, so it handles a crop better. Also the frame rate is slightly better, but that is third most important...but certainly nice. More pixels to work with is one reason the 1Ds is worth considering...because you can crop it more, and the IQ on non-cropped shots is noticably better. Both the 1Ds and Mk3 also print very well.

Is any of that "needed?" No, but it certainly is a nice improvement. Now can't wait till that mirror fix comes through...and hope it works!