• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photoshop CS2 help needed - JPEG save options

Doug Kerr

I rarely use Photoshop for image editing, so I am not familiar with all its controls. I do have Photoshop CS2 installed and use it infrequently. My platform is Windows XP Pro SP3.

Currently, in connection with some testing on the matter of chrominance subsampling, I am interested in saving a test file from PS CS2 with various "JPEG quality" settings. I can't find where to make that setting!

The Help system suggests that, if I invoke File>Save As, and choose the JPEG format type, there will be a "JPEG Options dialog box" in which I can make various settings regarding the saved file. No such dialog box appears. Neither are there such settings in any panel of the Save As dialog itself.

What am I missing?

This is what my Save As dialog looks like (the "use OS dialog" version) with JPEG selected as the format:

PS_SC2_SaveAs_01.gif

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Mike Bailey

pro member
Once you select save, you'll get the quality level settings dialog, so maybe you're just not going far enough? Or, if you want something more elaborate, you might try the "Save for Web" which is a couple of items below the Save and Save As options on the same menu.

Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,
Once you select save, you'll get the quality level settings dialog
Well, not quite, as I finally figured out. You don't get that dialog until you actually press the Save button.

I guess I just expect too much of Help writers!

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Once you select save, you'll get the quality level settings dialog, so maybe you're just not going far enough? Or, if you want something more elaborate, you might try the "Save for Web" which is a couple of items below the Save and Save As options on the same menu.

Mike

Interesting issue. I have found that sometimes, just with CS4, the opportunity to choose level of JPG compression does not appear! I wonder why?

Asher

JohanElzenga

I've never seen that happening and I saved countless JPEG's with CS4. Perhaps you hands are shaking so hard when you press ENTER in the Save dialog, so you press ENTER twice without realizing it? ;-)