• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Found objects

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I often set out on my morning walk with an idea in my head and work on it for an hour or so, step by step.
My first thoughts were about finding stuff along the way, collecting it, taking it home and photographing it purely and simply as an object I want to describe visually. No deep and meaningful, no art, no story, no confusion; just descriptive photography, like I was shooting for a spanner for a trade catalogue or a sore for a medical journal or a piece of fruit for a check out chick's display panel.

Here's item #1

_DSC9392 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Soft, even illumination, black background, all in focus, dead centre composition, no frills.
Just what I wanted. Nothing but descriptive - or is it I ask myself. I've already unconsciously removed the colour so its not 'real' any more.
Nahhh! Your getting too much like those OPF people, Tom. Stop talking to yourself and get on with the photos.

Photo #2

_DSC9404 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Mmm. Still very descriptive. Did I subconsciously put the warning sign in 'cause I'm a non-smoker? Have I added another level here? Am I expressing my ethics. Does this photo have an ethical interpretation? Has it gone beyond description?

Move on. Photo #3

_DSC9408 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

What have I done here. Form, tone, texture, line, all that composition stuff. That's not like you? HAve you gone out of your mind? This almost looks 'nice'. What's that word? Aesthetics. Yes, it seems you have crossed the dreaded line of interior decorators and art critics and fallen into he trap of aethetic interpretation. Ask Christine if this one will match the curtains.

Speaking of Christine, I had better move along. If she comes home and gets a wiff of this pile of rubbish I brought home, I'm road kill.

Photo #4

_DSC9409 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Bugger!
Now I've done it. But I also know whats going on. Its not me. Its these lost things. They are beuatiful in their own right. Nothing to do with me. A monkey could do this and get it right.
But wait. Just look at this thing will you. Its bloody amazing. Stop twiddling with those sliders, Tom and concentrate. These things have a beauty all on their own. Call it what you like: truth, life, love, dog ****; its all worth looking at. Just remember to take the camera away from your face occasionally and see it for what it is: another bit of the puzzle.
Then photograph it.

Photo #5

_DSC9414 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Michael Nagel

Tom,

I clearly can follow you here. It happens to me to capture found objects, but I tend to take them as I found them and to leave them where they are.
For me it is something which is there, in this moment. I do not know how it was before and I do not know what happened to it afterwards, so it is all about the moment.

I like the arrangements - Ikebana for found objects?
#3 and #4 are my favorites of this series. The composition is very appealing and the square format is just right.

If you don't mind, I will add three of my approach to this idea.

Best regards,
Michael

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

I clearly can follow you here. It happens to me to capture found objects, but I tend to take them as I found them and to leave them where they are.
For me it is something which is there, in this moment. I do not know how it was before and I do not know what happened to it afterwards, so it is all about the moment.

I like the arrangements - Ikebana for found objects?
#3 and #4 are my favorites of this series. The composition is very appealing and the square format is just right.

If you don't mind, I will add three of my approach to this idea.

Best regards,
Michael

Cheers, Michael. I'm always a bit torn with the idea of photographing insitu but as I get older its easier to pick it up and fill my pockets than to grovel on the ground. Besides, I do the walk for exercise. I'm supposed to get my heart rate up. Its either a brisk walk or go watch the office girls arriving for work.
I forgot about Ikebana. Thanks for reminding me. I thought that went out with macrame and match stick architecture.
I love the sqaure format. A hangover from the days of 120 film and the Mamiya 330.
Add away.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

I've been distracted by real work again and that really makes me forget about the entire universe. I have been scratching my head trying to locate Dawid Loubser's and other found objects, but so far no luck. When IU do I'll add a link.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
That's a well worn chess set, Michael.
Next walks I do I'll take the camera and see what I can do.
My Old Man rode a bicycle to and from work every day. He would always have his eyes to the ground looking for stuff. Screws, bolts, wheel weights so he could meltthemdown to make sinkers, bits of rope, money, copper wire, anything her could use or sell. He'd have had that green wing nut in his pocket in a flash. You've helped to bring back a nice memory. Thanks for that.

Michael Nagel

Tom,

the chess game was just like that - I did not move anything.

I left the wing nut there, but I understand why someone could take it with him.
Glad that it brought good memories back to you. It is intriguing for my that such memories are often triggered and even dominated by small things.

I hope and think that you will have good finds and I am looking forward to see them.

Best regards,
Michael