• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Snowbirds

Earlier this morning, I saw Jarmo's Baltic Bees and oddly enough we had an airshow here this weekend and I could take pictures from the street, just in front of my house. Although I live in a moderately small town, in the 50s, 60s and part of the 70s, there was an Airforce Base here so we have a very long runway. In the past we have had everything from passenger planes in trouble, US Harriers (although they don't need a long runway) and even the Concorde has landed here.

Here are some pics that I thought you might like, well, at least Jarma might. :-D

2 days before the show, we had a Hercules show up.

Hercules

hercules.jpg

Then on the day of the show, first of all an F-18

F-18

f18.jpg

and a couple stuntplanes, they were quite far off, so this is a deep crop

stuntplanes

stuntplanes.jpg

The snowbirds images are brilliantly executed. Excitement captured.

Cheers
Mike

Thank you Mike,

It is pretty exciting because you can hear them, but because of how we hear sound and the speed and height they are flying, it was difficult to know where exactly they would pop up; sometimes from behind a tree, or a house. It is like a hunting game and although I won't include these photos in my portfolio, they were so much fun to shoot.
Maggie

Jarmo Juntunen

Oh very nice Maggie! You can certainly feel the roar looking at these. Do you know what kind of aircraft the Snowbirds fly?

Oh very nice Maggie! You can certainly feel the roar looking at these. Do you know what kind of aircraft the Snowbirds fly?

Jarmo,

At the moment, they fly CT-114 Tutors. These aircraft were used to as jet trainers and were part of the Canadian Airforce inventory since 1963. They started using them for the Snowbird fleet in 1971. ( I did not know this off the top of my head, I googled it ;-) )

Oddly enough, 2 days before they did their show here, it was announced that the Snowbird fleet of Tutors would be retired in 2020 and that the government is going to spend 755 million for a new fleet. We do not at this moment know what type of aircraft they will be flying. There was talk of f-18s, as that would mean they could do more international shows, but the cost to run would be 20 times that of the tutors and also limit them from doing shows in smaller venues across Canada, so that idea was rejected.