• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How Much For That Doggy in the Doorway

Robert Watcher

One street in Qetzaltenango that I walk everyday, has store after store of grave stone makers. The two entrances to one of them, have stone dogs sitting in the doorways. I stick end up stepping away as I approach that section, before coming to my senses that they aren't real dogs. A couple of evenings ago, I was passing by and had to photograph the scene for my records:

IMG_3663.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One street in Qetzaltenango that I walk everyday, has store after store of grave stone makers. The two entrances to one of them, have stone dogs sitting in the doorways. I stick end up stepping away as I approach that section, before coming to my senses that they aren't real dogs. A couple of evenings ago, I was passing by and had to photograph the scene for my records:

IMG_3663.jpg

So, robert, how much was that doggy in the window?

I wonder where it's made. I'd be interested in you turning it on its stomach and seeing iof it is local and not simply floated in from China! I would hate to think that it's cheaper to bring in such products and take away work from locals!

Asher

Robert Watcher

IMG_3663.jpg

So, robert, how much was that doggy in the window?

I wonder where it's made. I'd be interested in you turning it on its stomach and seeing iof it is local and not simply floated in from China! I would hate to think that it's cheaper to bring in such products and take away work from locals!

Asher

I believe the dogs were carved by the artisans at the momument business. They are made of stone and all day long the owner is chisseling carvings into the granite headstones. They are not for sale that I can see. Just a friendly greeting to customers and passersby.

------

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I believe the dogs were carved by the artisans at the momument business. They are made of stone and all day long the owner is chisseling carvings into the granite headstones. They are not for sale that I can see. Just a friendly greeting to customers and passersby.

------

So well done, Robert! Ask about the price just for interest sake. I am so impressed with stone sculpture, where a mistake can mean months of work are wasted. I imagine they have ability to control their chipping to an amazing degree with awesome discipline!

When we sketch, we need several strokes to estimate where the final lines should be. With stone, one can't do that!

Asher