• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Cross

John Wolf

I am not a Christian but am very moved by the sacrifices made by spiritual figures of various faiths throughout history. What symbolizes this better than the cross? A theme for the Easter season and beyond.

John

L1000750.jpg

Mark Hampton

I am not a Christian but am very moved by the sacrifices made by spiritual figures of various faiths throughout history. What symbolizes this better than the cross? A theme for the Easter season and beyond.

John

L1000750.jpg

John, as ever I like your work. But the cross doesn't work for me on that level. I like the flying V extending from the crotch

Cheers

Charlotte Thompson

John

well it works for me! I love how the birds are flying from the statue as if a metaphor for spirit that has left its earth bounds-
The black and white as almost faded also claims a lack of life in metaphor concerning the statue-It is decidedly Christian and many are Christians-

Charlotte-

Ruben Alfu

This morning my wife asked me to install some decorative crosses she bought yesterday. At the shop they used newspaper of the day to wrap the crosses so it was normal to see easter related news. The headline reads "Jesus, his idol." I though that was a nice opportunity to contribute to this thread so I grabbed some shots before putting on my handyman hat.

20120406_MG_9962.jpg

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

L1000750.jpg

John,

The crucifix is a powerful symbol. One glance sends us back through history and all sorts of memories get awoken. There's no symbol except "Gas next exit" or "minefield" that arouses a range of emotions more than the cross!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This morning my wife asked me to install some decorative crosses she bought yesterday. At the shop they used newspaper of the day to wrap the crosses so it was normal to see easter related news. The headline reads "Jesus, his idol." I though that was a nice opportunity to contribute to this thread so I grabbed some shots before putting on my handyman hat.

Ruben

20120406_MG_9962.jpg

Ruben Aflu: The Cross: "Jesus, his idol."[

Ruben,

This is excellent. There are no pretenses or pomposity! The crosses like these are "of and for the people" and very different. They're the glue of families and a sense of identity to communities. This is a personal treasure of ordinary folk who want to be kind to one another, feed their children, have good fortune and a safe presence on earth.

The giant crosses are symbols of authority and accountability and power, advertising presence and services and a welcome for the traveler or those who need to pray.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

This is excellent. There are no pretenses or pomposity! The crosses like these are "of and for the people" and very different. They're the glue of families and a sense of identity to communities. This is a personal treasure of ordinary folk who want to be kind to one another, feed their children, have good fortune and a safe presence on earth.

The giant crosses are symbols of authority and accountability and power, advertising presence and services and a welcome for the traveler or those who need to pray.

Asher

Thanks Asher,

For me, the cross is not only the most sacred symbol but also a simple and beautiful message of what Christianity is all about.

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher,

For me, the cross is not only the most sacred symbol but also a simple and beautiful message of what Christianity is all about.

Regards,

Ruben

Faith can be a wonderful gift with the simple message of "Peace on earth and good will to all men", [and women, of course] or the old Testament term, "Love you neighbor as yourself!". Why is it that we find this so hard to implement?

Asher