• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Umbrellas, parasols of all kinds and sizes!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
OK
I'll bite on this one, bringing some colors ;...)

Haloween 2007, L.A. while walking around following Asher the chaser…

_G8A6916_LR.jpg

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II - 1/30s - ƒ 2.8 - ISO 3200 - no flash - 70-200 IS at 200 mm

Please do not edit

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How many of us can resist a bright umbrella or one fighting against the wind? So here's a challenge to add your most impressive pictures showing the diversity of this great apparatus!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Glad I had an umbrella in the van on this dreary winter evening. It helped save my non-weather resistant Olympus E-PL1 - as well as making it possible for me to get some great shots that I wouldn't have bothered with if it weren't for the umbrella being with me:

13276810060632_IMG_0028.jpg

BTW - a weather-resistant camera/lens and no umbrella works too (look at the bottom 2 pictures o the post) - http://robertwatcher.com/journal/index.php?jp=141&title=a-wet-rodeo-thank-goodness-for-olympus

Mark Hampton

its a funny word...

my umbrella

and looks funny in pictures

umbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrella

there would be no rain on me

umbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrellaumbrella

remeber.umbrella - Deka

LED txt to eyes.

Asher Kelman

Mark,

That was no umbrella but simple type text. You need to photograph the text at the least, but then it would still not be an image of an umbrella but symbols representing umbrella. So you need to actually go take your brollie or go out and find one and snap a picture.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

That was no umbrella but simple type text. You need to photograph the text at the least, but then it would still not be an image of an umbrella but symbols representing umbrella. So you need to actually go take your brollie or go out and find one and snap a picture.

Asher

Asher,

did you not feel umbrella in your mind. there was a flash. that was my image of an umbrella!

Asher Kelman

From Dublin earlier this year.

rainy-day-2012.jpg

A fine picture with great elegance. The angled building adds to the quality of the picture, giving a boost to the grandeur of the building and yet making the woman and umbrella more important.

Creating what the eye might see is extraordinary when done well. Kudos!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Wolfgang - I like the poetry in this one.

Asher - I haven't returned there since. I will ask the next time.

Best regards,
Michael

Mark Hampton

Asher,

did you not feel umbrella in your mind. there was a flash. that was my image of an umbrella!

Asher,

and yet it is not answered - in any of these images - where is the umbrella - what is the umbrella...

a motif -or an object that keeps weather off us and insulates us from rain ... but where is it ... is it a shape or the name or in our cortex...

text art plays with these ideas... the image of something is not that which the image is of...

does the word itself not spawn the image?

do we need more images ?

landscape umbrella 4 (in the woods)

Asher Kelman

landscape umbrella 4 (in the woods)

The word is not even as specific as apple and pear. Those are difficult enough. Apple gives us ideas about computers and software and juice for kids whereas pear makes me think of pear shaped trailers for cars and pear shaped hips in women. The word umbrella is far more complex and diversionary.

First, Mark, I see the red color and an oblong shape. Why not place the letters in the form of an umbrella, then we are locked into that thought. We still might not see an umbrella, but we have more of an understanding intellectually of the concept. That must include the linguistic uses referring to organization structure. As an example, Al Queda is an umbrella organization for many militant groups opposed to the importing of decadent and immoral Western European values into traditional societies. so unless I see an image, I think of things like umbrella insurance policies or an umbrella device to stop blood clots from the legs reaching the lungs.

A picture of an umbrella is much more specific and still will leave room for musing about many other meanings!

Asher

Mark Hampton

The word is not even as specific as apple and pear. Those are difficult enough. Apple gives us ideas about computers and software and juice for kids whereas pear makes me think of pear shaped trailers for cars and pear shaped hips in women. The word umbrella is far more complex and diversionary.

First, Mark, I see the red color and an oblong shape. Why not place the letters in the form of an umbrella, then we are locked into that thought. We still might not see an umbrella, but we have more of an understanding intellectually of the concept. That must include the linguistic uses referring to organization structure. As an example, Al Queda is an umbrella organization for many militant groups opposed to the importing of decadent and immoral Western European values into traditional societies. so unless I see an image, I think of things like umbrella insurance policies or an umbrella device to stop blood clots from the legs reaching the lungs.

A picture of an umbrella is much more specific and still will leave room for musing about many other meanings!

Asher

Asher,

your answer says you have seen the umbrella ? the beauty of the concept is that it is specific to you the reader - above is your umbrella.

I don't own an umbrella - will a Bob do if I call Bob an umbrella?

Asher Kelman

Asher,

your answer says you have seen the umbrella ? the beauty of the concept is that it is specific to you the reader - above is your umbrella.

I don't own an umbrella - will a Bob do if I call Bob an umbrella?

For a bob, or so, you can go out and have a drink at an outside restaurant. You'll see colored umbrellas over other folk or maybe a fine lady walk by with an umbrella as a parasol. While words are wonderful, there's a lot more to find in images which provide endless ideas and inferences each time one looks.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Umbrellas were a VITAL part of one of my all-time favourite wedding coverages.

The wedding was taking place on a sacred amphitheatre site on an Indian Reserve in Ontario. There were only 18 people at the wedding.

On the 2 hour drive to the wedding location, I had a funny feeling that it might rain - and actually fantasized about how cool it would be to shoot the wedding in rain. Reality soon struck though and I realized from my at that time close to 30 years of experience - that there would never be a bride who would agree to such a thing.

I got to the small cottage where everyone was getting ready, and about ten minutes before leaving, the rain started to pour down. I asked the bride's mother what the plans were if it carried on raining. She replied that likely the ceremony would just be at the cottage.

Well at the time that was planned for us to head to the ceremony, I hear a yelp from the bride - "Let's get Going". I went up to her at the doorway and asked what her plans were. She replied that we were going to the location. She had aniticipated that it may rain and bought out the local corner store of their umbrellas - 12 in all. In fact she was a little upset that she couldn't get them all in the solid darker colour that she preferred.

I have to tell you that I was ecstatic at the prospect. I always carry a couple of small portable umbrellas with me and so was well prepared for covering my gear while shooting.

While these shots show the umbrellas - - - the majority of the formal images were shot without umbrellas - - - with the rain dripping down them. The mood was electric. All of the shots I took were relaxed and natural. Couldn't have been better and great samples that I will likely never be able to duplicate again.

13406594729233_rain-wedding-1.jpg

13406594930600_rain-wedding-2.jpg

13406595067325_rain-wedding-4.jpg

13406595218378_rain-wedding-3.jpg

The final shot was a very emotional moment as the groom after the ceremony - went out to a lonely spot on the beach to phone 3,000 miles away to his aged parents who could not attend. I stayed at a distance and took a few shots. The bride then came from the house and walked past me and up behind him and embraced him while he carried on talking for some 15 minutes more. I absolutely adore this shot, remembering vividly the cold and the rain and the mood and the love and the tears at that moment in time.

Asher Kelman

While these shots show the umbrellas - - - the majority of the formal images were shot without umbrellas - - - with the rain dripping down them. The mood was electric. All of the shots I took were relaxed and natural. Couldn't have been better and great samples that I will likely never be able to duplicate again.

13406594930600_rain-wedding-2.jpg

13406595067325_rain-wedding-4.jpg

That fellow with the beard and the rolled up umbrella is so dapper and fun, even hobbit-like! The little you have disclosed about the wedding says that these are fine people with good values. This shows in the picture of the bride. These two are my favorites, without having heard the story of the phone call to the groom's father. Then this became all-important too

13406595218378_rain-wedding-3.jpg

Asher Kelman

So here the parasols are to shade the really laid back customers in a restaurant from midday California sun. Sitting in a corner, sipping coffee, I sampled the subjects. I liked this image as it was of a smart young woman, energetic and on a mission, getting her coffee fix on the way to what I don'y know.

_MG_6561_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Green & Black!

Canon 5DII 50mm 1.2L + 1.3 EV
f5.0 1/83 sec ISO 10

Asher

Asher Kelman

NIK Silver Efex Pro for B&W from Color in Low Light!

At the Getty Museum on the Route 405 Just North of Los Angeles, the transport from the garage is on the monorail, free, the entrance is free and in between they lend you umbrellas when it's raining! It was already dark as we departed when they closed. So ISO 6400 was needed! I intend to write more on Silver Efex Pro, but just for now, here's what one can do:

_MG_9374_800_color.jpg

Asher Kelman: Umbrellas for loan at The Getty

Canon 5D II, 24-105 IS ISO 6400
1/25 sec f4.5 40mm focal length
Original RAW Capture One 7

_MG_9374 copy800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Umbrellas for loan at The Getty

Canon 5D II, 24-105 IS ISO 6400
1/25 sec f4.5 40mm focal length
B&W using NIK Silver Efex Pro II

Enjoy!

Asher