• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What PC software for the Intel Mac?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Now that I have the new 17" MacBook Pro with Parallels, I'm interested in venturing a few steps to the darkside to PC softeare.

What PC programs have you found useful to complement your standard Mac programs for your work?

asher

Simply go to the astalavista.com, follow a few links, and a whole bunch of the totally free software will gladly install itself - all for free and in fully transparent/automated mode.
The only problem will be to get rid of it:)

Ray West

Hi Asher,

I think you may use qimage, if you are into printing to Epsons. Also maybe Irfan view as a viewer of almost anything - it gives pretty comprehensive file properties, including exifs, and is OKish on quick conversions.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

Thanks guys!

I have a funny feeling that the self-installing .exe software that you're sending me to Nik are like the gifts sailors get when tey are in port overnight!

Qimage sounds interesting. What does it do over printing from CS2?

One piece of software I'll be happy to hace access to is a reader that hospitals use for imaging studies like CT and MRI scans.

Anyway, I feel like a prince with this beautiful new machine!

Asher

Nick Rains

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
Qimage sounds interesting. What does it do over printing from CS2?

Asher

QImage is a much more sophisticated printing tool than CS3 - but the learning curve is steep. It's not real intuitive but the up-sampling and sharpening are really quite excellent.

It's kind of a budget RIP, but more than that too. Those who have gotten the hang of it reckon it's the best thing going, others never get past the slightly odd user interface (me).

Nick

(Spelling correction RIB to RIP :) A.K.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Thanks for that headsup Nick. That's helpful and motivates me.

I'll look for a tutorial. There must be some online.

So great to have you here. Sorry about those birds that fell from ther sky in Australia. Hope it wasn't the bird 'flu! Perhaps some farmer dosed his crops too much with pesticides!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

the Qimage site is here http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

There are examples and test prints to try and a free demo install, which lets you print up to 3 images at a time. There is plenty of help on its use on this forum, so I found,
showthread.php
and in fact a very good tutorial/faq with the software. Mike's profile prism is good too, if you are into trying different paper/ink combinations.

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi Nick,

I've just realised that my qimage was a few months old - checked it out, there is a raft of updates, including changes to the gui, so maybe it is now a tad simpler to use, not had chance to try it out, but a painless update.

Best wishes,

Ray