• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Oktoberfest 2013

Jerome Marot

Let us see whether I have understood the rules of the forum: it says: "Portrait and People Photography outside North America to lean towards the European roots of Street Photography of Strangers."

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jerome,

I was meaning to ask you and Michael whether you've photographed the Oktoberfest, glad to see the pictures already. A well seen and captured set of photographs which gives a good impression of the festivities, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the purpose of this particular forum which has been grossly underused, I'm at a loss to be honest. After all, we have the PJ-street-documentary forum which I use for these kind of pictures. Perhaps Asher can explain later why he thought this would be needed.

This are very cool, Jerome. The one with the guy with the huge beer belly almost looks like he's come alive out of a cartoon or drawing! Looks like a really fun time!

Hi Jerome,

I was meaning to ask you and Michael whether you've photographed the Oktoberfest, glad to see the pictures already. A well seen and captured set of photographs which gives a good impression of the festivities, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the purpose of this particular forum which has been grossly underused, I'm at a loss to be honest. After all, we have the PJ-street-documentary forum which I use for these kind of pictures. Perhaps Asher can explain later why he thought this would be needed.

Hi Cem,

I think this forum was born out of some people saying that in their country in Europe, photographing strangers is not allowed or you cannot show the photos online even though they are taken in public. I think this forum is supposedly blocked some way that only people that come here will be able to see it and not like other photos on this forum and others that can be found in a Google search or in the Google image galleries. Of course, I may be wrong, but this is my recollection... ;-)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

I think this forum was born out of some people saying that in their country in Europe, photographing strangers is not allowed or you cannot show the photos online even though they are taken in public. I think this forum is supposedly blocked some way that only people that come here will be able to see it and not like other photos on this forum and others that can be found in a Google search or in the Google image galleries. Of course, I may be wrong, but this is my recollection... ;-)
Hi Maggie,

Thanks for you're explanation. I've also read the thread started by Asher in the meantime so I think I understand the reasons now.

@Jerome: so did you post in this forum because you don't want these pictures to be searchable? Are you afraid that one of the subjects may discover his/her picture and create problems? If not, then why?

Jerome Marot

did you post in this forum because you don't want these pictures to be searchable? Are you afraid that one of the subjects may discover his/her picture and create problems? If not, then why?

The pictures are actually searchable on my flickr account.

Why did I post here, then? I was attracted to the title of the forum and the idea of "European roots of Street Photography of Strangers". It seemed to fit the pictures.

On the other hand, there is indeed some advantage of having a section which is less public. Under German law, each of the person depicted on the above pictures could indeed sue me under various grounds and would probably win. The risk is small but there is a risk. Maybe I should have made the pictures private on flickr.

Cem_Usakligil

The pictures are actually searchable on my flickr account.

Why did I post here, then? I was attracted to the title of the forum and the idea of "European roots of Street Photography of Strangers". It seemed to fit the pictures.

On the other hand, there is indeed some advantage of having a section which is less public. Under German law, each of the person depicted on the above pictures could indeed sue me under various grounds and would probably win. The risk is small but there is a risk. Maybe I should have made the pictures private on flickr.
Yes I was aware of the pictures being available on your Flickr account, so my question was asked in order to indicate any potential inconsistencies in this situation. So are you saying that it was illegal for you to take these pictures? Or is or legal as long as nobody objects? Would they not first ask you to remove the pictures before suing? In which case you would certainly oblige, wouldn't you? Isn't it ironic that on the one hand we have a zillion security cameras and phone cams and what have you recording our every move and the privacy is non existent and on the other, people still stick to the illusion of having a right to privacy?

Jerome Marot

Yes I was aware of the pictures being available on your Flickr account, so my question was asked in order to indicate any potential inconsistencies in this situation.

Plenty of questions in your post.

So are you saying that it was illegal for you to take these pictures?

Taking pictures is legal. Publishing them may not be.

Or is or legal as long as nobody objects?

That is a strange question. It works in the opposite way: anyone can sue you or me for anything. The tribunal shall then decide who wins, based on what the law says. The law is not clear cut, this is why we need a tribunal.

Would they not first ask you to remove the pictures before suing?

Probably, yes.

In which case you would certainly oblige, wouldn't you?

I would.

Isn't it ironic that on the one hand we have a zillion security cameras and phone cams and what have you recording our every move and the privacy is non existent and on the other, people still stick to the illusion of having a right to privacy?

I think it works in the opposite way. People have a right to privacy. The fact that it is trampled by Facebook, Google and the NSA is likely to motivate some of them to defend it more strongly. And only a few won court actions with damages awarded will be enough to change the landscape considerably. This actually happened in France about 20 years ago: because of strict privacy laws and jurisprudence unfavorable to the photographers, finding your face published without your agreement became the equivalent of winning the lottery. People sued the photographers and won. Street photography became impossible.

At present, most photographers count on the fact that the people pictured in street portraits will not find out about the picture. It could very well be that, with advances in computer face recognition, the system becomes out of hand. I can already tell you the day that flickr introduces computer face recognition on their system, this thread will show lots of orphaned links.