• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lightroom synonyms

Michael Seltzer

Hello,

Two of the features I was excited about in LR are the ability to classify keywords such that when I add an established keyword to an image, all its parent keywords are added as well; and the ability to assign synonyms. However, the synonyms show up in the implied keywords section, and aren't searchable. This seems to limit their usefulness, so I thought I'd ask, just in case some one knows something I don't (pretty much a given), if this is something that will be "fixed" in a future version (certainly an appropriate answer--we have to have something to look forward to), or did Adobe have a different use for synonyms in mind?
On a different note.... Wouldn't it be nice if LR had Rodale's Synonym Finder built right in? That way when you added a new keyword, and the Synonym Finder feature was turned on, it would give you a list of synonyms that you could pick from, or take them all. Of course, you'd still be able to add synonyms of your own.

Michael

Michael

It's an "incomplete feature", rather than a bug, and it's something I'm nagging Adobe to fix. I don't yet have a feel for how soon it's likely to happen though. So you are right.

I don't know Rodale's, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar comes along eventually. Under the hood, LR is very modular and there'll be lots of scope for addins once the SDK is released, and it will be scriptable too which will release the enthusiasm and ingenuity of a vast army of user-scripters. So I imagine that the 3rd party route is where we'll find controlled vocabulary tools.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks John for your response, especially since I know you are up to your eyeballs with work. Hopefully we will be able to read your new boods soon!

Good luck from all of us here in OPF on your many writing projects.

Thanks for keeing an eye open for us.

If you get any more ideas on this issue, fill us in1

Are we better off sticking to iview for keywording?

Asher

Hi Asher

There's no simple answer. I happen to think that, those "incomplete features" aside, the Lightroom environment lets you assign more keywords to images in the time you have available for the task.

What I like is the number of alternatives. You've got the left panel with its hierarchies, control of whether children inherit parent values, drag and drop. There's the keyword stamp - keep swapping between the keyword shortcut you stamp - and in the right panel you have sets of most frequently used or recently assigned items. Each of these works well in different circumstances. And because LR lets you export XMP at any time (sidecars or embedded in documented file types), you can easily Sync the information into iView (which I still use to keep control).

John

Michael Seltzer

Thanks for the information. I'll be waiting for the "fix." A software project like Lightroom is huge. Can't get everything all at once.