• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Huge picture collections? Phase One "Media Pro" catalogs choke and freeze!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Catalogs with 1/2 million files freeze my late 2013 MacPro. One has to reboot to defeat the ball of death! Here's the big problem: That last Media Pro catalog, always reappears on booting and again freezes, (even if one moves the saved catalogs, attempting to hide them from the application)!

Solution? Shut down the system, expel the drives that the catalog need, reboot and wait. This time, although the overloaded catalog will again appear, the ball of panic will eventually go away. (Running disk utility on the Apple system drive might encourage that.) In any case, waiting 5-10 minutes and the defiant catalog is now accessible and can be closed with one click of the mouse!

Now the question: which file management software can routinely handle 600,000 files adroitly and without crashing?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Neofinder appears to be a tailor-made solution from a German software Engineer, who has been doing catalogs for 21 years!

Neofinder is constantly updated and can even handle millions of catalogs, apparently, each with giant stores of image files! Cross grade from most other utilities for just €19.00! Otherwise it is $39.95. Go figure why he switches currency like that! ??

Anyone else deal with inordinately huge numbers of image files, what is your solution?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well, I purchased Neofinder and will start testing it tomorrow!

So tell me what you all use for cataloging all your file collections?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I must admit that it is not Phase One's Media Pro that is totally responsible for slowing my computer. But since I did try to use large catalogs, something became corrupted in my indexed files. I know that as a test account on my computer has no issues, (but no applications or data).

So first I am fixing my primary account!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I just use Lightroom to catalogue my photographs...

In fact, I do not have that quantity of files... just - almost - 50.000.