• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My friend, french chef and chanson singer Charly

Dr Klaus Schmitt

42734995025_41f6e6faf8_o.jpg

taken with an old f4.5 91mm printer lens...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
42734995025_41f6e6faf8_o.jpg

taken with an old f4.5 91mm printer lens...

I love it! Tons of detail and texture and great 3D impression.

This is taken as if by Jim Galli with one of his bespoke soft focus lenses, of the early 20th Century, Like a “Visual Quality” treasure!

Only difference is that you use digital sensor and not film and add rich color. In B&W this could easily fit in with such a vintage collection.

The great advantage you would have in creating a superb B&W print is that, now, you can freely assign and fine tune assignments of specific hues of certain brightness to specific ranges of grey, something no monochrome emulsion can match, even with an extensive choice of filters. Of course, with choice of film, expert processing, iterative processing alterations in making prints, one might come close. I for one, lack the expertise to reproduce in real film what is is readily accomplished with a digital color pathway to final B&W!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Oh, I know Jim Galli well and his work from the largephotography forum, which I like a lot. Especially his soft focus works. I will have a look at this in bw, my wife even suggested that, since he's a chanson singer and that would match this oevre well...

Asher Kelman

This is exactly what I was hoping for! To me it’s perfect!

Now if this was achieved with a Visual Quality Pinkham and Smith, and 4x5 sheet film, I would have felt it was all worthwhile, the film, lens and darkroom effort!

This looks like a Jim Galli shot!

......except the Bokeh would not past muster for the bespoke lenses. But still the mood is just perfect and I love this image!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yep, with a P+S Visual Quality, well, THAT would have been something...BUT it would have never happened...

We were just talking as I met him playing with his dogs, walking back from the (my) park taking pictures and his dogs were playing around, and out of and impulse I asked him to take a portrait while we were chatting about stuff, so this portrait happened between friends...unplanned and impulsive and I still like it a lot...

He wants me to take portraits for his coming performances, also in Las Vegas next year, and I feel honored about it...

Asher Kelman

Yep, with a P+S Visual Quality, well, THAT woudl have been something...

Butr we were just talking as I met him walking back from the (my) park taking pictures and his dogs were playing around and out of and impulse I asked him to take a shot while we were chatting about stuff, so this portrait happened between friends...unplanned and I stil like it a lot...

He wants me to take portraits for his coming performances, also in Las Vegas next year, and I feel honored about it...

Sounds like an independant and interesting character. Does he write his own songs too? Any link to his work?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Sounds like an independant and interesting character. Does he write his own songs too? Any link to his work?

Asher

Oh yes, he has (had) some interesting, hard life, has seen the world as a chef cooking in many (famous) places...

No, not a site he has yet, but his CD is coming out soon. He sings classical chansons, Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour, Yves Montand,...

Mark his name: Charles (Charly) Tzivanidis