• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dylan, Our JRT

Hello,

I'm new here (1st post) was just looking for any advice/constructive criticism for my pet portraits, This is Dylan, our JRT. I'm experimenting with studio lighting, any tips would be gratefully recieved.

the lighting setup was as follows.

1 EX150w/s shot through umbrella at 1/2 power to the left of camera
Silver reflector to the right of camera (small, around 9")
White reflector to the left of Dylan
White reflector on floor in front of Dylan
Nissin Di622 behind Dylan, In front of background
Some daylight coming through window above Dylan's Head

The shots are at http://bit.ly/bdgblog

(sorry, not sure how to post pics directly into the forum)

Thanks,

Ben

Hello,

I'm new here (1st post) was just looking for any advice/constructive criticism for my pet portraits, This is Dylan, our JRT. I'm experimenting with studio lighting, any tips would be gratefully recieved.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to OPF. Thanks for sharing the info about your setup, it may help/inspire others or provoke questions/suggestions.

The shots are at http://bit.ly/bdgblog

(sorry, not sure how to post pics directly into the forum)

You can embed images in your post by embedding the URL of your image between two markers,
which would give something like:

20110616-IMG_9166.jpg

When you quote this message you can see how it looks when you type the message. It would be best, also for the speed of your Blog, to link to a reduced size image. Something like 800 to 1000 on the longer side is common, and allows to view the entire image on a single screen and it downloads faster for those with slower connections.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Benjamin,

Welcome to OPF!

So glad to have to on board and immediately see such a rich and impressive portrait. Could you leave the massive image where it is. I've never been so blown away by the sight of a hound! However, to see the picture as a composition too, it would be nice to now have a smaller version as well.

Immediately, it's obvious that you have used your lights well and that there's a lot of experience with people behind the shot. I'd love to see this printed 25"x35" and put on a large white wall!

First, is this film or digital and what were the optics? If it's in digital form, can you recover dogs upper right edge where it's rather bright?

Asher

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words!

This was taken on a Canon 30D, with a 50mm F1.8

I was a little concerned about the highlights, I could recover in lightroom, I'll have a play around with it tonight & post some results when I'm done.

Thanks again,

Ben

Jerome Marot

I was a little concerned about the highlights, I could recover in lightroom

Don't. The image is fine as it is, it looks like a high key image and suits the subject quite well. The high key and shallow depth of field are very delicate in their rendering (is that correct English? I am not so sure...).

If you want to correct something, crop a bit of the right part of the picture. Even better: move the frame to the left (that is: add some background on the left while cropping the right). There is not enough space on the left, but the background should be easy to clone.

Asher Kelman

Don't. The image is fine as it is, it looks like a high key image and suits the subject quite well. The high key and shallow depth of field are very delicate in their rendering (is that correct English? I am not so sure...).

For sure, Jerome, but still one can nuance the very edge. I wouldn't alter the "high-key" effect, but would blunt slightly what could be a distraction. The problem is that we cannot evaluate the actual print and that's where such considerations have to be judged.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words!

This was taken on a Canon 30D, with a 50mm F1.8

I was a little concerned about the highlights, I could recover in lightroom, I'll have a play around with it tonight & post some results when I'm done.

Thanks again,

Ben

This, Benjamin, is a thread I must send folk to when they fear they need a more expensive camera or lens! I'm impressed. Now I will treasure the 50 1.8 much more!

Asher