• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blue Sully '16

Paul Abbott

rusteddrum_1_of_1_900.jpg

Blue Sully '16 - Paul Abbott

Paul Abbott

I photographed a massive metal drum, that I found rusting in a scrapyard up on Emley Moor. I then turned the image into a negative to achieve these colours, I sometimes do that with images like this.
The subject was just one curved plane but I got a pronounced effect with the top half looking like it was just that, but the lower half looked like it turned a corner, and some of the score marks kind of falsified that.
I don't really know what i'm doing with it really...I should have known better with that title. There's only one fitting title for images like this and that's an 'untitled' one.

Andy brown

Yeah, titles are tough Paul.
Get 'em wrong they suck but untitled never works in my mind either.
At least now I know how you did " box of blue" from a while back.

Paul Abbott

Hey Andy, thanks for the addressing. I forgot all about that 'Box of...' moniker. :)
Anyway, here's what I think is a better rendition...I 'dodged the bottom left hand square of the image.

rusteddrum_2_1_of_1_900.jpg

Untitled '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
rusteddrum_1_of_1_900.jpg

Blue Sully '16 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

I like the title now and having watched "The Game of Thrones", think of the "unsullied" as a term of dignity and discipline. Your picture here is not stressed or pushed to any extreme and everything works well in gentle balance.

The second version, although far bolder lacks that subtlety the first one quietly owns. So this is my favorite and one I would love to see printed and also get siblings, made in a similar fashion. This is worthy of our sustained interest!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Un-sullied? That sounds pretty good to me, Andy and Asher. The obverse act of converting the impurity and taint for something with a little more 'dignity' and 'disciplne'? The 'obverse observed'...

I'm probably annoying now...