• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Implied

Black and White:

476016359_NUvNY-XL.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nikolai,

Black and White:
Great attitude!

Reminds me of that great instruction to models, "Always wear a smile."

This is thankfully not a case of the "planar subject surface" we discuss in connection with the theory of white balance measurement with a cosine diffuser.

Best regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug!

As I keep telling my models, "the beauty comes from within" :)

Here's another one from the same shoot for you, hopefully also non-planar ;-)

476016575_EF3Mw-XL.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nikolai,

I'm skipping the praise this time. Just some niggles.

What about the difference in tone between face and body? Are you able to match them?

Wavy shadows in the inner thigh. These should be corrected in PS. One can't catch all the oblique light in the shoot itself, but in does need attention.

Back to praise!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Adding a routine check: skin shadows for fat deposition, creases and smile lines.

Thank you Asher!
You're right.. I'll fix that wavy shadow tonight...
Other than that, I *love* my new 5D2 + 50/1.4 assembly ;-)
Thanks Nikolai for being open to ideas. Some guys just say thanks but really don't care. The fact that you use this feedback encourages one to invest the time to study submitted pictures.

Everyone one has some degree of skin folding and creases as well as slight differences in fat deposition. All these normal physical attributes call attention to themselves in oblique or hard light. The large the light source and close it is to the skin, the less these differences in contour will be drawn in the recorded image. That we all know, of course.

476016575_EF3Mw-XL.jpg

So, one should get into a routine to look for this. We already have routines like white balance, white and black points, curves and so forth. This check for skin aberrations should be added to the list. In this case, I'd consider softening the smile crease lines from the inner edge of the eyes and the outer corner of the nose as the lighting has accentuated them. If one looks carefully, one can see minor modulations in the surface of the thighs that can be similarly corrected. In doing so, the picture really does get improved as these very minor distractions are removed and she is even more vivacious.

Thanks again for sharing. It's great to have followed your work with models over the past several years. I have seen your improvement with each shoot and now they are impressive. Of course, your models have improved, but also the integration of the pose with the lighting. I look forward to seeing more and also further boiling down your ideas to what is simple.

asher

Asher Kelman

One unrelated image has been withdrawn at poster's request and so the 4 posts on that one picture became mute. Pictures are removed when the reasons are reasonable :) No disrespect or censorship is involved. We have not complained nor received any complaints and I'd have kept the pictures. However, where the level of responses have not reached a level of community effort that is a work in itself, we want to cede to the photographer wherever we can.

Please be assured that all posts are valuable and we do not remove posts on a whim!

Asher