• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

[VIS, UV,BV] Helianthus tuberosus (Topinambur)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Last summer I took quite a few shots using my butterfly vision (BV) filter, since found out that bees and bumblebees seem to be very fond of visiting Topinambur flowers (Helianthus tuberosus, also called "Jerusalem Artichoke") [the roots were used in former times here to make that famous Topinambur liquor]. So today here a few shots, to reveal in more detail, how that flower looks like and the very prominent UV pattern it has.

Visible:
original.jpg

UV (310-390nm):
original.jpg

Butterfly vision (simulated, UV mapped in as blue):
original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dr,

this to me is working... beautiful...

thanks

Klaus,

Like Mark, I appreciate especially the butterfly vision. Somehow it seems to present the center of the flower with all it's myriads of miniature trumpets, as a "bespoke" crowd of flowers, of a finer class. Have you looked at how different these images are when transformed, as best as you can judge, to black and white. I wonder if there are these differences too?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks guys. I have looked at bw versions of my work in earlier stages when it was still necessary to overlay RGB layers to achieve the desired results and these differences were also visible there.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks guys. I have looked at bw versions of my work in earlier stages when it was still necessary to overlay RGB layers to achieve the desired results and these differences were also visible there.

Klaus,

So, does this then offer another interesting route to B&W, the butterfly vision view, or do you think it has no special interest over IR alone?

Asher