• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Do you mostly follow threads or just post but don't give feedback?

fahim mohammed

I have a corner shop selling groceries and some other stuff. A family operation. Mainly for the neighborhood, and for the few passersby that stop in for purchases..mostly a pack of cigarettes, youghurt etc. A family run operation..if one can call it that.

I know the shop and the family from way back. I try to stop there once or twice a day to pick up some fruit juice, cigarettes; have a talk..

A little further down the road, by car, is a 2 sq km hypermarket. Actually 3 of them in different directions.
There is Starbucks too! There are gas stations. Branch of my bank, ATMs, Pharmacies, Nikon dealer branch, Electronic shops..you get the picture..Inventory stocked from all over the globe.

Once in a while, at the corner shop, I run into a neighbour. So we talk, buy a few things.

I stop by the corner shop not for products neccessarily, but to keep in touch with the old man who runs it. I would keep in touch with him even if he did not run the corner shop.

His shop is a dying business. His business model failed him a long time ago. As has his reluctance to re-invent his business.

But I have too much invested in that corner shop. It belongs to a friend.

I visit the corner shop for more than just to buy my groceries. I have the Danube, next door for that. Times have changed since the old man opened his corner shop.

And the newcomers that I run into in the cornershop? They do not know me, and neither I them. Just strangers on the way to pick up a packet of cigarettes. And I am too old to strike up new relationships.

fahim mohammed

Mark, you are right. Or is it Jerome?

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

with all due respect... nothing is real...

or is it?

But, my friend, "Nothing" cannot be!

So "nothing is real" cannot be true either.

Sentiment, however, is real as any solid object can be as long as we are here to experience emotions.

Asher

fahim mohammed

But, my friend, "Nothing" cannot be!

So "nothing is real" cannot be true either.

Sentiment, however, is real as any solid object can be as long as we are here to experience emotions.

Asher

' Nothing ' is real. And ' nothing is real '. Two differing propositions.

Which one of them is being discussed.

Mark Hampton

' Nothing ' is real. And ' nothing is real '. Two differing propositions.

Which one of them is being discussed.

both ov dem fahim!

thats that cleared up.

tom there was no big bang - but there was a big band !

' Physics ' must have been there before to sustain the ' nothingness '. Somethig has to sustain and maintain the state of ' nothing '. Else it would not remain ' nothing ' - wrong before nothing there was the big band.

ok !

Asher Kelman

Hi Jake,

Not to steer this thread off course, but I agree with Asher on this. There's a whole genre of serious photography that is focused on those close to us. Sean Reid has a wonderful article on this subject on his paid site. He cites Walt Odets, among others. I find Odets work inspiring.

There is also a school of so-called "Family Journalism" that you might enjoy looking into.

The point is that family life and serious photography can be integrated. You're likely making pictures of loved ones anyway, so why not do so with the mindset of artist? You'll be enriched by it and your family albums will be far more than a collection of snapshots.

John

Just to get back to this earlier post by John. Sean Reid is an excellent reporter. Consider a subscription to his website. Lots of insight into lenses, especially is one wants a camera that uses Leica mount lenses.

Asher

Asher Kelman

who was it that said: 'If its not about me I'm not interested'. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld. We all laughted nervously because we know how true that can be.

Yes, that's true. But "Wait, there's more!" (Ginsu knife ad) Getting "more", part of our nature, can be about information and entertainment and not just greed for material "chatkas" or junk you don't really need.

That's the hook for me. Here we have the ability to see through keyholes and windows with the owners permission! Take your own PDF book, for example. What do we get? A glimpse into your whole life. Same with Fahim Mohammed on his amazing travels or Mark Hampton on the "Reading the Reading" thread, looking at things in his odd way.

...and much more!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Else it would not remain ' nothing ' - wrong before nothing there was the big band.

ok !

Mark, as we all know sound has to travel thru a medium. Even ' Band ' sounds. Now what could that medium be? I am partially deaf, so not much experience of Bangs or Bands..Big or otherwise.

fahim mohammed

Just to get back to this earlier post by John. Sean Reid is an excellent reporter. Consider a subscription to his website. Lots of insight into lenses, especially is one wants a camera that uses Leica mount lenses.

Asher

I was a regular. But his Flash based site, with printing off, and the difficult reading display set-up made me give up.

Pity. I really respect his thoroughness and attention to detail. Well worth the cost..bar the reading process.