• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LCD fades when going from off to on, Need Help!!!

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hi guys, I need your help.

I have bought an Apple Cinema Display of 20" and something weird happens when I turn it on. The screen fades quickly when I turn it on. Not too slow, not too quick, but noticeable (around 0.5 secs from off to on). I would like to know if this strange behavior could be considered a technical problem of the display or a sign of malfunction. I'm concerned that LCD displays have not a visible delay between going from off to on. Please, I will need a quick reply, since the guarantee of my Display is attempting to expire.

Thanks in advance,

Mart :)

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Is it an ADC connector or a DVI?

If it is a current model I would go to a store that sells them and see what there display unit acts like.

What brightness level do you have it set to? It might just be the delay for the computer to send the brightness level information to it when you have it set to something less than full!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Perhaps age has whittled my patience with these thing to a hair. But I would spend zero minutes trying to diagnose fix this problem if it's a new unit. Just send the thing back for an exchange or refund. Life's too short to dink with this crap.

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Perhaps age has whittled my patience with these thing to a hair. But I would spend zero minutes trying to diagnose fix this problem if it's a new unit. Just send the thing back for an exchange or refund. Life's too short to dink with this crap.

Well... I already have sent another one back to the store because an stuck pixel. They won't to change me the monitor, in fact, they told me that Mac doesn't refund and/or change LCD Monitors unloess they have 5 dead pixels. I acted diplomatically, but knowing they didn't want to change the monitor, I went more violent, let say, menacing with laws and raising my voice over the salesman voice. That happened around 3 months ago, then they phoned me 4 days ago saying they will change the monitor, went there and got a new one, but seems it's not working as it should.

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Is it an ADC connector or a DVI?

If it is a current model I would go to a store that sells them and see what there display unit acts like.

What brightness level do you have it set to? It might just be the delay for the computer to send the brightness level information to it when you have it set to something less than full!

Hi!

Well... It's a DVI connector, don't know what's ADC, but it's not VGA, just DVI. Here is a photo of the product: http://www.casigratispc.com/images/APPLE Pantalla TFT 20 wide Cinema Display (14 ms).jpg

I already got the same display and never happened something similar to this, but an stuck pixel, so I had to change the monitor just 3 weeks after I bought it. They didn't want to change the monitor, so I did some noise there. After 3 months or so, they phoned me in order to change me the monitor (that was 4 days ago) and now I see this monitor behaves this way, which is pretty strange. I have never seen an LCD doing such thing.

The brightness is set to the maximum.

Thanks for the reply :)

I would like to know what could be producing this behavior, because I will not be able to buy another monitor like this and I have to fight with the salesman in order to get a new one or start a law thing.

I would appreciate some info,

Leo :)

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hi Leonardo
I have no idea if it's a real problem or not, is this a new behavior?
If I were you I would check the online Apple suport, read or post there:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=111

Good luck and tell us your findings!

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, it's a new behavior... The monitor is new. However, I have had problems with same monitor they sold to me. The main problem is that they won't change the monitor (in fact, they didn't want it 3 months ago with the other one, and 4 days ago they phoned me in order to do the changeling, and this new monitor started acting like this just 4 days after they gave me this new one).

Thanks for the reply, will check the forum :)

Leo :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So Leonard,

What was it connected to before? Anyway, I'm so glad it's fixed. Better ger Alucine back by the window if she hasn't escaped or driven you crazy already! You both have work to do!

Asher