• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Streamlining Membership of OPF: What about registration via accounts like Facebook?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've noticed that many websites allow registration via existing major accounts. We have to invest a lot of time checking all new registrations.

So, what harm would there be in simply having folk join OPF using their Facebook or similar account and then kicking out abusers we discover? We do not use HTML nor flash so would be open to spamming attacks, dictionary hackers and the rest?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Facebook and other services have their share of fake accounts, so I do net see the gain you hope to have by choosing this way of registration. The hurdle will be a little higher for spammers, but I am not sure if that works.

Besides that - major accounts like Facebook, google, yahoo etc. have their own share of issues and may be a hurdle for those who want to join without an account at one of these services.

There is a site I would like to join, there is a one-time fee which is not an issue for me, but there is something preventing me from getting there: The only way to pay this fee is via Paypal. Paypal has in my eyes a lot of issues, I will not use it. No way for me to get there though...

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

I agree with most of what Michael says above.

There are many, that refuse to join any internet based social networks. I am one.
Paypal is a service of the very last resort for me. I do not like them and use them very reluctantly and rarely.And I feel very sad afterwards.

But what is the issue here? OPF is not the only internet forum. Photography oriented or otherwise. What do the other sites do? How do they control that which OPF wants to control? Don't they face similar risks?

One forum I belong to does not accept e-mail addresses that are non-fee based. Another forum is a fee based service. It does not guarantee a spam free, hacker free, troll free site. Cost and effort versus results.

Traffic and active membership on OPF, guessing here, is not that high. Posters are really few in comparison with other photography fora. I see a little over 10,000 members. How many are active?

What are the objectives and what are the resources available should be the first step.

Shall we do this or that? That is the wrong way to go about addressing the problem. What is required?
What are the issues? What solutions are available? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the solutions being cionsidered? What are the cost and resource implications?

That should be the starting point?

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

I agree with most of what Michael says above.

There are many, that refuse to join any internet based social networks. I am one.
Paypal is a service of the very last resort for me. I do not like them and use them very reluctantly and rarely.And I feel very sad afterwards.

That's a good sentiment to be aware of.

But what is the issue here?

Simply this: I don't want folks information to be harvested and their privacy breached through my own fault. I just want to do my level best that OPF is a small safe place to share our love of photography and we are large enough to answer any questions posed.

What do the other sites do? How do they control that which OPF wants to control? Don't they face similar risks?

As far as I can tell, most allow anyone to use any email and just join and deal with spammers when there are enough complaints. That way, there's the least barrier to membership and traffic.

One forum I belong to does not accept e-mail addresses that are non-fee based. Another forum is a fee based service. It does not guarantee a spam free, hacker free, troll free site. Cost and effort versus results.
Do you have any opinion as to whether or not this would be good or bad to institute that here?

Traffic and active membership on OPF, guessing here, is not that high. Posters are really few in comparison with other photography fora. I see a little over 10,000 members. How many are active?

Of those who try to register, about 1/3 will be automatically rejected. About half of the registered members are actually banned after checking their background.

What are the objectives and what are the resources available should be the first step.
See answer above.

Fahim,

There a re two issues for me.

1. I'd like to make it easier for photographers to join OPF

2. Decrease the burden of screening for spammers and exploiters.

The issue is that there's extra effort and waiting for 2-24 hours to be accepted by OPF, depending on the load of new registrations. Facebook membership is common and could make it easier for those with existing Facebook accounts to join with just one click. Then if they spammed, they'd be removed. It would allow new photographers to join and immediately post. We could even have the first 5 posts or so moderated. This seems to be a viable option for those who are already comfortable with social networking.

We could add filters that check for spamming activity even for Facebook members, so the vast majority would be clean.

Hope this helps you respond.

Asher

Asher Kelman

You realize that facebook track all what their members do on the internet, even when they are not connected to facebook, don't you?

Jerome,

I'm not advocating photographers join social networks. Just if they are already happy with that service, then perhaps we could make it easier to join OPF. I just think we can accommodate the trend on how folk use the internet.

Asher