• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Midsummer Boredom

Maybe it's just my attitude, but it seems as if summer can be the most static and least variable season of the year for landscape photography. The world becomes green in May, and then stays that way with little change until early September. Aside from a thunderstorm or two, of course, the day to day changes of conditions in the months of fall, winter, and spring leave those of summer curled up like a dog at the end of a leash in a dusty yard.

Or so it seems, sometimes.

Just the same, day to day summer conditions can vary enough to provide a surprise on occasion. I hope this little walnut grove photographed early this morning might serve as an example. The light just seemed right to me.

original.jpg

Walnut Trees at Dawn​

Maybe it's just my attitude, but it seems as if summer can be the most static and least variable season of the year for landscape photography. The world becomes green in May, and then stays that way with little change until early September. Aside from a thunderstorm or two, of course, the day to day changes of conditions in the months of fall, winter, and spring leave those of summer curled up like a dog at the end of a leash in a dusty yard.

Just the same, day to day summer conditions can vary enough to provide a surprise on occasion. I hope this little walnut grove photographed early this morning might serve as an example. The light just seemed right to me.

original.jpg

Walnut Trees at Dawn​

Tom,
Love the walnut trees, are they black walnuts? Very quiet day there. Nice composition and color. I'm very fond of pastoral views. I'm feeling very relaxed and refreshed.
Best, Bill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

original.jpg

Walnut Trees at Dawn​

What a great description- dog on a leash!

Thank you for looking and commenting, all. Not sure about the walnut species—black, probably—but it's very easy to turn an ankle while walking over the nuts this time of year. Same is true for the shagbark hickory trees in the area.

Autumn is around the corner! I've a week set aside for the Sleeping Bear Dunes area (Michigan) in September and another for Devil's Lake area (Wisconsin) in October. Cool temperature, fall foliage, and perhaps best of all, no mosquitoes.

Thank you for looking and commenting, all. Not sure about the walnut species—black, probably—but it's very easy to turn an ankle while walking over the nuts this time of year. Same is true for the shagbark hickory trees in the area.

Autumn is around the corner! I've a week set aside for the Sleeping Bear Dunes area (Michigan) in September and another for Devil's Lake area (Wisconsin) in October. Cool temperature, fall foliage, and perhaps best of all, no mosquitoes.

Tom, I find the conformation of the black walnut trees to be quite beautiful. I've got a number of them at my place in New Hampshire, and shag bark hickory trees along the back stone wall. I know what you mean about the nuts. The walnuts are nearly baseball size and the hickory are larger than golf balls. When mowing, I have to clear the area of any living thing, to be sure I don't engage in an accidental homicide.
Bill