• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Round the Island Race 2007

John Harper

Hi there

Following on from Nicolas's advice on shooting yachts from a boat i travelled to the IOW to try to capture the annual Round the Island Race. This years was one of the biggest with just under 1800 yachts entered in the various classes. Start times in the various classes went from 5.00am to 6.30am mainly due to tide conditions.

So having got up at "O Dark early hours" i was able to get some shots from the shore as it began to get light.

I then joined a pleasure boat that was providing a trip amongst the boats for some 90 mins or so.

Anyways up it was my first go at shooting yachts from a small boat, and it was certainly a challenge. (I now have even more respect for Nicolas!!) but i got a few shots i liked and post some of them here for comment / critique.

Tech details will follow but the ones from the shore were with my 400mm F5.6L and the ones from the boat with a 70-200 F2.8LIS both on my 1DMKIIN

John

sunrise.jpg

headon.jpg

crew.jpg

minx2.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well done John!
the first pic has beautifull light very well captured. The other one are great to.
The last one is less interesting and has quite poor light...

Now you've got to shoot and shoot again to find the right angles that goes well (different for each boat) and capture the atmosphere and/or action.

You're on very good way! I got to be carefull now;-)

John Harper

Round the Island 3 more

Hi Nicolas

Thank you for your comments on the photos, on the last one is the problem because of the flat lighting? or is it just a boring photo! :)

I attach 3 more shots of the yachts 2 as they rounded the Needles and raised their spinnakers to head downwind, and 1 of a similar action shot to Minx2 but of a different boat with a female crew, the sun was out for that one and it does lift the colours.

John

colour.jpg

sails.jpg

diamond.jpg