• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Got To Keep Trying II

Hello everyone,

Well, I have to keep trying so here's my second try at fashion. Does it work?

Comments and critiques to better the pic appreciated.

4798.jpg

--William

janet Smith

pro member
Hello William

I like this very much, your hardwork is certainly paying off. I particularly like the top line of her body, the angle of her head, rotation of the shoulders, position of the hands on her hips, creating the nice line of her arm and elbow. However if I were to be "picky" the only part I'm not too sure about is the position of her legs, in particular her straightened left leg, IMHO the shot would have been slightly improved by this leg being a little further away, with the knee softly flexed.... just a very minor point, I think it's a great shot, that works really well, well done!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
William,

Again, I'm giving just my impressions which you must not let detract from your own artistic POV. After all, I'm no accomplished fashion photographer, however, I do avidly follow this world and the photography. So frame my reactions appropriately.

This is obviously a generation of improvement. As Janet says the pose has given a great line for the top of her figure. The hands are posed much more gently but stil purposely. The lighting is accomplished and shows her well.

There is, perhaps insufficient action in the lower part of her body. The pervis is dead and the legs are just there. This is hard to change unless she sees what is missing. I'd show her pages of runway shots at the end of the walk where the model poses before she struts back!

It seems to me that she might benefit perhaps from repositioning her pelvis and as Janet has pointed out, articulating her thighs and legs. Her pelvis cand legs can speak to us. Currently they don't.

In summary, you have moved way beyond the first images and the model looks great. However, she has only delivered a portion of what she is likely capable.

Asher

A small point, I'd try to have less light on her rather bony right shoulder to de-emphasize it, or perhpas your great makeup artist could have some tricks. Also her shoes don't fit well as her arch is beyond the shoes. Maybe that's her pose?

Last edited:
Hello William

I like this very much, your hardwork is certainly paying off. I particularly like the top line of her body, the angle of her head, rotation of the shoulders, position of the hands on her hips, creating the nice line of her arm and elbow. However if I were to be "picky" the only part I'm not too sure about is the position of her legs, in particular her straightened left leg, IMHO the shot would have been slightly improved by this leg being a little further away, with the knee softly flexed.... just a very minor point, I think it's a great shot, that works really well, well done!

I am working very hard so it's nice to see some one noticing it, thank you!

I agree with you about the legs, they need to do something to add to the image and your suggestions on how to improve it is deeply appreciated. I really appreciate your comments and I like that is not just me being picky with myself but hey, there's always room for improvement.

Thanks for your comment and time.

--William

William,
A small point, I'd try to have less light on her rather bony right shoulder to de-emphasize it, or perhpas your great makeup artist could have some tricks.

Isn't that what photoshop is for ? :) Seriously, you'd have to use a clunky gobo or back the light way up to get less fall-off, no?

I'm interested in the background halo. Was that effect accomplished in post-processing or in-camera/studio?

Ed.

William,

Again, I'm giving just my impressions which you must not let detract from your own artistic POV. After all, I'm no accomplished fashion photographer, however, I do avidly follow this world and the photography. So frame my reactions appropriately.
I want you to know that I really appreciate your comments and the time that it takes you to type them. You don't have to an accomplish photographer in Fashion to give your opinion, your valuable opinion based on your experience in photography is enough. Heck even an amateur like me can comment. So no worries. :)

My background is in sports photography and here I am trying to shoot models LOL I don't follow fashion at all so this is really a stretch for me.

This is obviously a generation of improvement. As Janet says the pose has given a great line for the top of her figure. The hands are posed much more gently but stil purposely. The lighting is accomplished and shows her well.
WOW a generation of improvement. Well, I'm trying and I will keep trying for the rest of my life to be the best I can be in photography. I agree 100% with you that the top part of her body is posed fine.

There is, perhaps insufficient action in the lower part of her body. The pervis is dead and the legs are just there. This is hard to change unless she sees what is missing. I'd show her pages of runway shots at the end of the walk where the model poses before she struts back!

It seems to me that she might benefit perhaps from repositioning her pelvis and as Janet has pointed out, articulating her thighs and legs. Her pelvis cand legs can speak to us. Currently they don't.
Again, I agree with you 100% on your comments and thank you for the suggestion on how to make her legs add more to the image. Much appreciated and I need to keep and eye on that next time I shoot a model.

In summary, you have moved way beyond the first images and the model looks great. However, she has only delivered a portion of what she is likely capable.

Asher
WOW! another great comment telling me that I'm in he right direction. You know this model is the same model from my other images. Like the beauty shot, the lingerie image, is the same model, her name is Brandi and she's a starting model and she does great work. I love working with her as much as she loves working with me. :)

A small point, I'd try to have less light on her rather bony right shoulder to de-emphasize it, or perhpas your great makeup artist could have some tricks. Also her shoes don't fit well as her arch is beyond the shoes. Maybe that's her pose?
Again, this was my first time shooting with a MUA (make up artist) so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can now see that she could have helped in that area. All I can do now is Photoshop it but keeping in mind to fix that during the shoot and not in post processing.

The shoes?? You got me there. Those shoes do not match the dress and style of the shoot but that's all she had so I went with it. Good eye!

Again , thanks Asher, your comments and suggestions will help me become a better photographer and I appreciate that.

--William

janet Smith

pro member
I'm interested in the background halo. Was that effect accomplished in post-processing or in-camera/studio?

Ed.

Like Edward I'm also interested in this halo effect, was it lighting or did you burn in around the perimeter?

Also, have you tried putting some of your models favourite music on to try and help her relax?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The shoes?? You got me there. Those shoes do not match the dress and style of the shoot but that's all she had so I went with it. Good eye!

Just a small point William! When women push their feet into high heeeled shoes, the curve of the shoe and sides must match and support the arch of the foot. Sometimes it's that her foot is exceptionally narrow. Then she made need the high fashion shoes of Weitzman which are perfect. When models are barefoot, the naked inner arch is delightful. When the shoe does not fit, it's no longer elegant.

http://www.zappos.com/n/sr/b/426.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722074624/page/1.html

http://stuartweitzman.zappos.com/

Asher

Like Edward I'm also interested in this halo effect, was it lighting or did you burn in around the perimeter?

Also, have you tried putting some of your models favourite music on to try and help her relax?

To answer Janet's and Edward's question regarding the halo effect on the bakground, well is both, light and Photoshop.

About playing music while the photo shoot is in process the answer is yes, I play the model's favorite music all the time. By the way, the expression on her face was intentional, however as stated before I do agree that her pose can be improved.

Happy shooting

--William

Just a small point William! When women push their feet into high heeeled shoes, the curve of the shoe and sides must match and support the arch of the foot. Sometimes it's that her foot is exceptionally narrow. Then she made need the high fashion shoes of Weitzman which are perfect. When models are barefoot, the naked inner arch is delightful. When the shoe does not fit, it's no longer elegant.

http://www.zappos.com/n/sr/b/426.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722074624/page/1.html

http://stuartweitzman.zappos.com/

Asher

WOW Asher, you went all the way out on this one. Really appreciated. Again, as previously stated, the shoes were not her size and they do not fit the style of the dress but since that was what we had so I decided to go with it. It would look even weirder if she had no shoes on or pink shoes on.

I also liked the shoes on those websites, if I could only go back in time and switch the shoes abd replace them with one from the websites you suggested. It just tells me to make sure I have shoes that fit the model and also the style that I'm shooting.

Asher, thanks again for your time and comments, always appreciate your suggestions to make me a better photographer.

--Wiliam