• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gretel's final trip....

Cem_Usakligil

Gretel's final trip down the memory lane
img_35657_0_202218599-O.jpg

All C&C welcome.

Regards,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
a nice picture… vignetting (or similar effect) is welcome here.

The title makes me cold in the back… however it seems they still have some more walk in front of them on their way…

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Cem

I like this very much, it strikes me as a very intimate, tender, precious moment between different generations, the branches gently enclosing like arms in an embrace, I can only imagine at the chatter between the two women..... really nice, thank you for sharing.......

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
a nice picture… vignetting (or similar effect) is welcome here.

The title makes me cold in the back… however it seems they still have some more walk in front of them on their way…
Bonsoir Nicolas,

Thanks for looking. I have applied a reasonable amount of vignetting already, do you mean I should have done even more?

Well, the title of this picture is obviously inspired from Gretel from Hansel & Gretel by Grimm Brothers and one of my favorite artists Mr. Gary Larson - the creator of The Far Side.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hello Cem

I like this very much, it strikes me as a very intimate, tender, precious moment between different generations, the branches gently enclosing like arms in an embrace, I can only imagine at the chatter between the two women..... really nice, thank you for sharing.......
Hi Jan,

Thanks for your kind words. The somewhat cynical title I've given to this picture aside, you've described pretty much the feelings I've had when I took this picture this afternoon.

The weather was sunny, after being horrible for weeks. So they must have thought the same as I did, it was a very nice opportunity to take a walk in the woods. The old lady was walking very slowly, leaning towards her granddaughter. I was walking somewhat behind them when they suddenly were framed by the branches like that. And a ray of sunshine has hit them at the same time. So I took the picture, of course <smile>

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Warm feelings

Cem,

If the purpose was to capture a moment, you were successful. What a beautiful emotion it evokes. Beautiful framing and I like the vignetting as it is - brings your eye right to them. The path takes me right with.

What is beyond where we cannot see? I imagine a futher path, maybe with some flowers or just a peaceful spot, maybe even with a bench for a rest..

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

If the purpose was to capture a moment, you were successful. What a beautiful emotion it evokes. Beautiful framing and I like the vignetting as it is - brings your eye right to them. The path takes me right with.

What is beyond where we cannot see? I imagine a futher path, maybe with some flowers or just a peaceful spot, maybe even with a bench for a rest..
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. Apparently, for this once, I was able to take a picture that clearly conveys the message I wanted it to.

Re. the rhetorical question you've asked, I know the answer to it but I'm not telling ;-).

Cheers,

Marian Howell

this is a wonderful image here cem, lovely, and i too like the vignetting here, an effect i think can be overdone easily but works to perfection here complimenting and spotlighting the image both compositionally and emotionally. well done.
But.
i reacted the same as nicolas...the title (as in *final*) really sets a more somber tone on this for me. i didn't know the title was cynical - that seems in such contrast to the beauty and humanity of this moment you've captured. although i certainly know the grimm bros i missed the name reference as well.
why can't they stroll down the lane next weekend???
great shot and thoughtfully processed.

Cem_Usakligil

What's in a name...

this is a wonderful image here cem, lovely, and i too like the vignetting here, an effect i think can be overdone easily but works to perfection here complimenting and spotlighting the image both compositionally and emotionally. well done.
But.
i reacted the same as nicolas...the title (as in *final*) really sets a more somber tone on this for me. i didn't know the title was cynical - that seems in such contrast to the beauty and humanity of this moment you've captured. although i certainly know the grimm bros i missed the name reference as well.
why can't they stroll down the lane next weekend???
great shot and thoughtfully processed.
Hi Marian,

Firstly, thanks for sharing your views on this picture. I am also getting more and more attached to it along the way, it wasn't that way at the beginning. Maybe that is the reason why I chose that cynical title for it. My wife's initial reaction was exactly the same as Nicolas' or yours, she thought that the title was simply wrong. I am now having second thoughts, thanks to all your feedback on this.

Off to find a more appropriate title then ... :).

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
What's in a name??

she thought that the title was simply wrong. I am now having second thoughts, Off to find a more appropriate title then Cheers,

Hi Cem

Could I offer a suggestion "Time" which it seems to me is as the heart of this image, your lovely photgraph encapsulates and shows so sensitively two things that are so important to the elderly.

The fact that her grand-daughter has cared enough to give her time to her grandmother and take her out for a little walk, the donation of time is possibly the most valuable of all.....

The feeling that grows with age of, how much time is there left?

Just a suggestion, hope you don't mind.

Greg Rogers

Hi Cem,

Been meaning to reply, now this is little more than a stupid "me too" post. The title chilled me to the bones as well (though I must admit, it is more than effective!) I agree with others, not likely the effect you sought, though!) Not to suggest the title isn't clever, it is indeed.

How about something to the tune of "A Memorable Walk with Grandma", "Grandma shows me the path", or something? (As you can see, titles are not my strong point. <ha>

Seriously, aside from admiring the shot in general, assuming the lady with the cane was not, in fact, Gretel, I pondered "who exactly IS that walking with the sweet lady?" And maybe you wanted that.

Stunning, lovely shot, Cem...
-Greg

Hi Cem,

Been meaning to reply, now this is little more than a stupid "me too" post. The title chilled me to the bones as well (though I must admit, it is more than effective!) I agree with others, not likely the effect you sought, though!) Not to suggest the title isn't clever, it is indeed.

How about something to the tune of "A Memorable Walk with Grandma", "Grandma shows me the path", or something? (As you can see, titles are not my strong point. <ha>

Same for me, the "final" part bothered me (unless Cem knows more about how the trip ended than he dared to reveal). I was thinking about "a stroll along memory lane", or something like that.

Bart