• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Question regarding the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR

Jeff Donovan

I'm looking at buying this lens as a bridge until I can get the 70-200mm f/2.8 monster.

My question is no so much about the lens (although any input is welcome) but about the pricing at B&H. They have it listed twice, one as imported, one not. The imported one is almost a hundred dollars cheaper.

What exactly is the difference? Vague memories make me want to say the difference is the warranty, but I'm not sure and any clarification would be great.

Here is the link to the lens on B&H.

I initially considered buying this lens through Best Buy's website, mainly because I have $100 in BB gift cards that will help offset the price difference between BB and B&H, but the imported one is so cheap I'd rather buy it straight up and save the BB cards for something else.

Thanks!

Jeff

Joel Schochet

Jeff,

You're partially right. Nikon USA will not honor a non-US warranty when the item is purchased in the US. But even more importantly, they won't even work on a non-US warranty item purchased in the US, even if you're willing to pay. The price difference you mention is significant compared to the total price. You have to decide whether to take the chance.

If you purchase a Nikon item in a foreign country, I believe Nikon will honor the international warranty. Best way to get the correct info on this is to call Nikon USA at 800-NIKONUS.

Joel

Jeff Donovan

Thanks Joel.

I dug in a bit on B&H's site and it appears they will warranty the lens for up to a year themselves so I would not be totally uncovered.

Now to decide if it's worth saving the money! :)

I always buy the USA products because of the warranty concerns. I have both lenses by the way. The 70-300 is ok but once you get the 70-200 you will never look back.
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jeff,

Just as a side issue, on the matter of terminology, the terms "imported" and "non-imported" often seen in catalog listings don't really explain the difference. Obviously, either of the lenses is "imported" (unless Nikon has recently opened a lens plant in Steubenville, Ohio or someplace that I don't know about).

The difference is "did the vendor (B&H, for example) import it?" In the case of the lens labeled "imported", the vendor presumably bought it from a distributor outside the U.S., perhaps a legitimate Nikon distributor but perhaps not one whose "territory" embraces the U.S.

In the case of the lens labeled "not imported", the vendor presumably bought it from Nikon's U.S. distribution chain (but of course it has been imported earlier in that "chain" from the country of actual manufacture, or perhaps even from an entity elsewhere in the world that is part of the offcial "U.S." distribution chain).

None of this automatically has anything to do with what kind of warranty support would be available in each case (which is controlled by complicated matters of policy and practice), but it is important not to be baffled by the paradoxical notion of a "non-imported" Nikon lens.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Jeff,
Just to add to Doug's reply - Imported or "gray market" items are legitimate and identical in item only, not in the warranty. Not all products are sold at the same price in various countries. Some are sold at deep discount. Electronics resellers take advantage of that and buy those products at reduced rates overseas and ship them back to the USA to be sold at a lesser price. Suffice it to say Nikon in particular despises the practice.

In the case of B&H, they provide the warranty (up to one year), not Nikon. If service is required it will be outsourced to a local repair shop.

In the case of Nikon USA, they will not, under any circumstances, repair a gray market purchase, even if you are willing to pay for all repairs.

As for buying the 70-300 as a "bridge", I would not recommend it. I owned that lens for a couple of years and was reasonably happy. Then I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8. The difference is night and day. You'll look back on all the images you shot with the consumer grade lens and kick yourself for not waiting.

Jeff Donovan

Hi Jeff,
Just to add to Doug's reply - Imported or "gray market" items are legitimate and identical in item only, not in the warranty. Not all products are sold at the same price in various countries. Some are sold at deep discount. Electronics resellers take advantage of that and buy those products at reduced rates overseas and ship them back to the USA to be sold at a lesser price. Suffice it to say Nikon in particular despises the practice.

In the case of B&H, they provide the warranty (up to one year), not Nikon. If service is required it will be outsourced to a local repair shop.

In the case of Nikon USA, they will not, under any circumstances, repair a gray market purchase, even if you are willing to pay for all repairs.

As for buying the 70-300 as a "bridge", I would not recommend it. I owned that lens for a couple of years and was reasonably happy. Then I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8. The difference is night and day. You'll look back on all the images you shot with the consumer grade lens and kick yourself for not waiting.

John, the only issue is that waiting would likely mean more than a year, so I'm going to go ahead and get it with the goal of upgrading within the next twelve months. If you look down I started a thread about the 70-200 after renting it and raved about it. I know just how good it is :)

Also, a friend of mine noticed that when you added the US version of the lens to your B&H cart, the price was $449. No brainer, bought the US version. Between some Christmas gift money and placing second in a fantasy football league, I'm not spending a dime out of pocket for it.

Jeff Donovan

I always buy the USA products because of the warranty concerns. I have both lenses by the way. The 70-300 is ok but once you get the 70-200 you will never look back.
James

I know, but I think the 70-300 will serve for now and inspire me to make sure I'm sticking every nickel and dime in savings for the big boy.

Eventually I'd love to have the 70-200 and the 17-55, but that's a few years off.