Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM

Default A couple of snaps as I walked

I thought I'd share a couple of quick snaps that I took over the last few days when out walking around.

Mike

Autumn Leaves - Mike Shimwell

Gatehead - Mike Shimwell
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM

Mike, the top image is so clever because it is so simple and humbles us by revealing what we walk by everyday and do not notice. The yellow leaves make it for me.

And the second photo shows bravery to dare to be heretical in the digital age of sharpness and image stabilisation. Of course we both know this shot is deliberate and your intent and not an accident it shows movement and dynamism and the absolute unequivocal transient nature of photography which captures slices of life in one hundredths-of-a-second intervals. One moment it's there and the next it's gone
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Nigel is quite right, yes we do miss so much!

Mike,

I've added your first picture to the collection in "Themes" here, dealing with the treasure most of us seem to entirely miss out on. I'm sure we do it with out friends and family too!

The second fast image of a series of arches within a larger arch is one I'd think of returning too, although, I always promise myself to do such a return visit, but how often do we actually do that?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default .............

Mike....I like the lower half of the first image...I'd probably crop an make that lower half a 12 by 24 print...Very nice shot...
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

I like the first one especially.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJonas View Post
Mike....I like the lower half of the first image...I'd probably crop an make that lower half a 12 by 24 print...Very nice shot...
Eric

Thanks, here's a sample for you It changes the nature of the shot a bit - more dynamic - and the circular sweep of the leaves from top left round to the right is replaced by a pattern that reminds me of the constellation 'The Plough' or Great Bear.

Mike

Old November 24th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Hi Mike

I like your first shot, and prefer the first version of it.

It'll be a shame when all the leaves are gone, but then there's icy seed heads etc to look forward to....
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet Smith View Post
Hi Mike

I like your first shot, and prefer the first version of it.

It'll be a shame when all the leaves are gone, but then there's icy seed heads etc to look forward to....

Hi Janet

Thanks very much . That was up at Studley Roger deer park - I was taking the girls for a cup of hot chocolate

Erik, sorry, I spelt your name wrong again.

Finally, here's an alternative view of the second shot - framed using a square format, sharper and at a different point in the lighting cycle.

Mike