Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old November 7th, 2018, 07:39 PM

Default Vulcanized

Old November 7th, 2018, 08:21 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Explain “Vulcanized” I am in a different bubble. I do know about Startek and about vulcanizing rubber, but cannot, as yet relate either to your picture.

So help me!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:30 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
James,

The picture is unusual in its significant shadows on an attractive blue wall. The fellows pursed lips makes us wander what is on his mind.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
James,

The picture is unusual in its significant shadows on an attractive blue wall. The fellows pursed lips makes us wander what is on his mind.

Asher
Asher

He is wondering who sent him a mysterious email and why footwear has far more to do with identity and expression than mere function.

Best, regards
James
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:02 AM

Yes I thought the sneakers were a stand out feature.
Old November 8th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Explain “Vulcanized” I am in a different bubble. I do know about Startek and about vulcanizing rubber, but cannot, as yet relate either to your picture.

So help me!

Asher
Asher

"It refers to the process of vulcanizing rubber, first developed by Charles Goodyear in the 1880s. Vulcanization is an important aspect of the story of where sneakers began.

The rubber on shoes, before vulcanized rubber was developed, would wear out quickly. While the plimsoll was technically the first rubber-soled shoe, they were considered a luxury item for the wealthy since they could only stand up to being worn a few times. Sensing an opportunity to bring his father’s invention into the world of footwear, Charles Goodyear, Jr. eventually joined forces with some of his competitors to form the U.S. Rubber Company. Together, they released Keds, the world’s first “sneakers.” The term was coined by an advertising firm since the shoes made it easy to sneak up on someone without the loud footsteps of the wood and leather shoes that were more common at the time"

https://nationalpost.com/life/fashio...of-exclusivity

One particular brand has Vulcanized printed on the sole. People pay outrageous prices for fashionable footwear.

Best, regards
James.