• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Last perpetual update of Lightroom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Adobe announced the last perpetual update of Lightroom:
https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/12/6-14-now-available-last-perpetual-update-of-lightroom.html

So, from now on, anyone wanting to use that program with recent cameras will have to rent it on a monthly subscription basis, same as other Adobe products.

In a way, software companies have become a form of extra-govenmental agency, that is able to tax us each year.

It happens with food too. Monsanto has done that with Roundup resistant crops which them require farmers to eschew native grains for single source seeds together with the weed suppressing environmental poisons.

We are addicted to doing ordinary things in complex ways and we become dependant of our "suppliers".

Even toilet paper! Who would think of tearing up news papers to provide toilet paper for a week. So it is made cushiony and non slidy, and folk only use ready made rolls.

Software is the worst. Programs used to be in kilobytes and now one often needs 0.2 GB of space.

So we become addicted to storage space!

Water is perfectly healthy out of most town faucets. One can remove any remaining noxious elelements by a simple inexpensive filter. But folk are addicted to buying waterc in plastic bottles which have in them leached outt platicisers with estrogenic and other biological effects.

In a gym, seeing water bottles is part of the atmosphere of health!

...Now I will read your article, Jerome.

Asher

James Lemon

I never moved past lightroom version 3.3. never liked the way it processes colour for any camera profile. I use it for limited purposes. There are other alternatives that photographers will gravitate towards.

Jerome Marot

But this is important. Apple Aperture came in 2005 and Lightroom came in 2006. These two defined the landscape of professional photography at the time. A decade later, in 2015, Aperture was canned and now Lightroom becomes subscription only. This reflects the changes in the way photography is practiced.

If you want to understand any branch of the economy, here: photography, try to find out how it is financed. This is the secret.

James Lemon

But this is important. Apple Aperture came in 2005 and Lightroom came in 2006. These two defined the landscape of professional photography at the time. A decade later, in 2015, Aperture was canned and now Lightroom becomes subscription only. This reflects the changes in the way photography is practiced.

If you want to understand any branch of the economy, here: photography, try to find out how it is financed. This is the secret.

Jerome

Companies like Fuji are offering some new added value to their customers!!! New camera raw processing that will save on computer CPU.

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/08/fujifilm-x-raw-studio-offload-raw-conversion-cpu-camera/

James

James Lemon

I don't see how we can do RAW processing without a big screen. Perhaps the Fuji system allows the processing to be observed on a tablet or smart phone?

Asher

Asher

The camera gets hooked up to the computer via a USB. It is also free at no cost except for the price of the camera, and you will need the latest Fuji firmware. Rather than processing your raw files on your computer, it connects to your Fuji camera and uses the cameras processor to do the conversion. (see the following link for more info)

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n170907_08.html

James

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I'm a Fuji user (X-Pro2) and it's an intriguing update. I don't think I'll use the new tool for processing in general, as I'm quite happy with Capture One. However I can see a few advantages of Fuji's new take on raw processing:

1. It gives you exact access to Fuji film simulations on your desktop/laptop. Some people love the Fuji JPGs, and this is the ideal way of getting the flexibility of raw, but still using Fuji's 'magic-sauce'

2. The program gives you exactly the same options as the in-camera processing. You can therefore use the program on your desktop to quickly find a set of film-styles and adjustments that you like the look of and then set these up in camera for future JPG shooting.

3. Fuji ACROS B&W simulation uses a great grain algorithm, that's far more than simply applying a texture over the top of the image. Now you can use this on your desktop for AW files as well.

As for Lightroom, subscription seems to be the way a lot of software is going - and not just for photography. At least there are other alternative raw convertors around now, so it's not as if we're devoid of choice.

Andrew.

James Lemon

I'm a Fuji user (X-Pro2) and it's an intriguing update. I don't think I'll use the new tool for processing in general, as I'm quite happy with Capture One. However I can see a few advantages of Fuji's new take on raw processing:

1. It gives you exact access to Fuji film simulations on your desktop/laptop. Some people love the Fuji JPGs, and this is the ideal way of getting the flexibility of raw, but still using Fuji's 'magic-sauce'

2. The program gives you exactly the same options as the in-camera processing. You can therefore use the program on your desktop to quickly find a set of film-styles and adjustments that you like the look of and then set these up in camera for future JPG shooting.

3. Fuji ACROS B&W simulation uses a great grain algorithm, that's far more than simply applying a texture over the top of the image. Now you can use this on your desktop for AW files as well.

As for Lightroom, subscription seems to be the way a lot of software is going - and not just for photography. At least there are other alternative raw convertors around now, so it's not as if we're devoid of choice.

Andrew.

Andrew

The Olympus system has had some of these abilities for a number of years. A good camera system as well.

James