• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Op Art Abstract.

5165898936_f8d48b8df2_b.jpg

Ripples, Noosa River

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 FB VC, image area 16.3cm X 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 360mm f6.3 lens.

It is only on those days of high bright overcast that a sky reflection looks like molten silver.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
5165898936_f8d48b8df2_b.jpg

Ripples, Noosa River

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 FB VC, image area 16.3cm X 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 360mm f6.3 lens.

It is only on those days of high bright overcast that a sky reflection looks like molten silver.

Maris,

What a brave presentation! Op art! I'd not have expected this from you. It seemed your work is so defined and not brought down to illusion of movement and form that might not exist, but you have done it!

Bravo for this. It has surprising possibilities of shapes that shift and streams that bump into one another in all sorts of haphazard struggles. I hope you will now attempt to add siblings to this.

But I'm no OP ART mavin. I just am impressed at this flag you have put out to the wind!

Kudos

Asher

Maris, I like this very much. I'm something of a water ripple/reflection/refraction fan, so this was a joy. You're right about the high overcast silver effect on the water. Also interesting to observe is the subtle changes in ripples with the wind coming from different directions and velocities. The dance of wind and water has infinite variations, and is too often overlooked as a subject of photography.

Do you have more such photos that you'd care to share?

Tom

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I usually find this stuff rather boring but that photo brought me up in my tracks! The metallic look is just incredible but still organic enough not to be some sort of aluminium something or other. Really like this pic.

Maris, I like this very much. I'm something of a water ripple/reflection/refraction fan, so this was a joy. You're right about the high overcast silver effect on the water. Also interesting to observe is the subtle changes in ripples with the wind coming from different directions and velocities. The dance of wind and water has infinite variations, and is too often overlooked as a subject of photography.

Do you have more such photos that you'd care to share?

Tom

How about this one?

5252404093_c504a297f1_z.jpg

Sedges, Silver Gull Lake

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image area 21.3cm X 16.5cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera with a 50mm f4.5 lens.

The easiest way to achieve a repetition of forms is to look for reflections in a still water surface. This photograph of sedges in a lake is a facile example. Again, the day featured a high overcast sky. Firstly for the "soft-box" lighting and then for the smooth reflection.

If you look at this picture long enough and avoid migraine you will find the tripod leg in the corner; an "easter egg", sort of.

Maris, this second one works like a puzzle, doesn't it?

The still water has the look of burnished aluminum, but I can't help but to try to find the actual surface where the sedge and its mirror meet. Complicating the effort; the reflected sedge appears to be in sharper focus than its non-reflected counterpart.