• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Opportunity for Gallery Show in Los Angleles

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm in the process of doing the very beginning groundwork in assembling coherent sets of work for a series of exhibitions in a fine gallery in Beverly Hills California. So I'm exploring the issues that have to be dealt with.

Whatever the choices are, the first collection of works must be successful for this to be continued. So we need to enter this with care, foresight and patience. The gallery has curators. I have my own taste and you are all self-critical. A major issue to be faced squarely is you are all close to my heart and I cherish your work. So it must be that, in submitting a set of your beloved work, you assume, from the start that it doesn't fit in and is not going to be in this first exhibit, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it ended up included.

Is this at all possible?

Next, the pictures may not sell well initially and then if those photographer's exhibited expect sales, then they could very well be disappointed and feel that we have let them down. Can we also deal with this reality?

If we can all get beyond these real barriers to consideration, then we might be able to go forward. I'm exploring this here in OPF and then I'll expand my efforts, if need be. So look through your own work? Mostly pictures could be sold in the region of $1,200 to $4,400 and that will be split fairly but the divisions are not yet even being discussed. We can also have prestige major works with prices much higher than that. But we only need a few. These provide a reference for the value of the entire collection in the exhibit.

For consideration, let me know by email, editor.opfATmac.com. Replace AT by @.

Of course, we need to have choices of work that will not be sold on ebay or privately for a lesser price. So a policy will need to be crafted, or else, wall space cannot be devoted to that work.

This idea has been with us for a long time. My last attempt to promote the work of one photographer, was based on making appointments with major galleries for the works to be reviewed. in each case, the photographs were really appreciated but that collection didn't fit in with the choices the gallery owner felt would change the buying pattern of the network of clients. My idea now is to have broader approach and offer a palette of creative visions of a number of our photographers.

So consider recommending your own or others work, but do so without holding me to account. This is a hard job. We must offer very little and then work hard to deliver much more. If we end up selling work from just one or two of us, that would be a great success and starting point for a potentially strong future.

Good luck, everyone. Feel free to discuss this here. However, don't post your collections yet. Just your opinions and levels of interest.

We're merely at the exploratory stage. So we're open to your opinions and suggestions. Just recognize that this is a process where some path has to be finally chosen and we have to do that and will make big mistakes on the way. If I didn't think we might succeed, then I would not be presenting this idea to you.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hmmm, this would be a very nice opportunity to offer finally a portfolio of limited edition platinum handprints, email on the way Asher.

Mark Hampton

I'm in the process of doing the very beginning groundwork in assembling coherent sets of work for a series of exhibitions in a fine gallery in Beverly Hills California. So I'm exploring the issues that have to be dealt with.

Whatever the choices are, the first collection of works must be successful for this to be continued. So we need to enter this with care, foresight and patience. The gallery has curators. I have my own taste and you are all self-critical. A major issue to be faced squarely is you are all close to my heart and I cherish your work. So it must be that, in submitting a set of your beloved work, you assume, from the start that it doesn't fit in and is not going to be in this first exhibit, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it ended up included.

Is this at all possible?

Next, the pictures may not sell well initially and then if those photographer's exhibited expect sales, then they could very well be disappointed and feel that we have let them down. Can we also deal with this reality?

If we can all get beyond these real barriers to consideration, then we might be able to go forward. I'm exploring this here in OPF and then I'll expand my efforts, if need be. So look through your own work? Mostly pictures could be sold in the region of $1,200 to $4,400 and that will be split fairly but the divisions are not yet even being discussed. We can also have prestige major works with prices much higher than that. But we only need a few. These provide a reference for the value of the entire collection in the exhibit.

Of course, we need to have choices of work that will not be sold on ebay or privately for a lesser price. So a policy will need to be crafted, or else, wall space cannot be devoted to that work.

This idea has been with us for a long time. My last attempt to promote the work of one photographer, was based on making appointments with major galleries for the works to be reviewed. in each case, the photographs were really appreciated but that collection didn't fit in with the choices the gallery owner felt would change the buying pattern of the network of clients. My idea now is to have broader approach and offer a palette of creative visions of a number of our photographers.

So consider recommending your own or others work, but do so without holding me to account. This is a hard job. We must offer very little and then work hard to deliver much more. If we end up selling work from just one or two of us, that would be a great success and starting point for a potentially strong future.

Good luck, everyone. Feel free to discuss this here. However, don't post your collections yet. Just your opinions and levels of interest.

We're merely at the exploratory stage. So we're open to your opinions and suggestions. Just recognize that this is a process where some path has to be finally chosen and we have to do that and will make big mistakes on the way. If I didn't think we might succeed, then I would not be presenting this idea to you.

Asher

Asher,

you have given yourself a tough job - which I hope will ultimately be rewarding for you and the site and those not only dirctly involved but also watching.

as the man said "go on yir selv big yin !"

why not make a little gallery like AS... cut oot the middle men and the market...

cheers

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Mark, I get a slight hint of a feeling that you're no a sassenach? :) (both my parents are Glaswegian though I wasn't priveliged enough to be born north of the border).

Asher Kelman

Number of pieces in a set of works from one photographer

Number of pictures in a series. It will depend on the strength of the individual work and the nature of the other photography in that entire exhibit. If we can have a unifying theme, then that might influence choices. From what i've seen of shows in galleries, for major modern sculpture, just one work may be sufficient and the same for one 3 meter high painting. For a one person show, for photography at the very minimum 3-5 major works but I'd think a total of 12 to 40 works could be needed with some very special unique and magnetic examples of your work.

For our purposes, ~ 5 images would be re

Asher Kelman

Number of pieces in a set of works from one photographer

Number of pictures in a series. It will depend on the strength of the individual work and the nature of the other photography in that entire exhibit. If we can have a unifying theme, then that might influence choices. From what i've seen of shows in galleries, for major modern sculpture, just one work may be sufficient and the same for one 3 meter high painting. For a one person show, for photography at the very minimum 3-5 major works but I'd think a total of 12 to 40 works could be needed with some very special unique and magnetic examples of your work.

For our purposes, ~ 5 -12 images would be required just to demonstrate some coherence in style and delivery. Showing a set of pictures must mean there is more that are likely coming in the pipeline. From these, selections would be made by the curators.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I am not sure that I really understand your project. Here are the web sites of some European galleries which present exhibitions of artists with different backgrounds. Do you have something similar in mind?

http://www.galerie-jordanow.de/kuenstler.html

http://www.lumas.de/artists/masters/

http://www.wantedparis.com/

http://f56.net/

Jerome,

Yes, that's the idea; these links are so helpful! The represented photographers appear to have already shown in many locations previously. We'd love that, of course, but intend to give opportunities to include photographers who have not necessarily exhibited much before. That's where we need to work hard to find treasures amongst our community's work.

BTW, I didn't discover the sizes and pricing in your first gallery here.

Asher

Asher Kelman

AS = Alfred Stieglitz! Thanks Mark :)

Please do not send me your valuable prints, unless they are gifts, LOL.

JPG images of the works are sufficient for a first look. There's no charge for submitting work. I do hope we can have critical mass of work that will help film and digital photographers bring their creative work to the marketplace. I imagine that there could be up to 10 photographers for each exhibit. Time scales and further details will be worked out after we have sufficient offerings that the curators feel they could sell to their collectors.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Is this at all possible?

Asher

..........bump!