• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

rules of the game

Mark Hampton

stack1234.jpg

stack123.jpg

stack12.jpg

stack1.jpg

Mark Hampton

I see that global warming has reached you.

well - it has been very wet Jerome - i guess this could be global warming.

a month ago I laid some wood down in the garden to make a stripe (rule)- I removed it this weekend - this white stripe is the subject of these works. I have then allowed the image to be interpreted by the Jpg algorithm - breaking the detail down. So the rule becomes unclear. through the act of interpretation.

glad you both commented. I was going to add context but its a small book project and wont have a statement in it.

cheers

Tom dinning

Registrant*
well - it has been very wet Jerome - i guess this could be global warming.

a month ago I laid some wood down in the garden to make a stripe (rule)- I removed it this weekend - this white stripe is the subject of these works. I have then allowed the image to be interpreted by the Jpg algorithm - breaking the detail down. So the rule becomes unclear. through the act of interpretation.

glad you both commented. I was going to add context but its a small book project and wont have a statement in it.

cheers

Fascinating. But I'll wait for the movie.
Christine! What's for lunch?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
R:

R:

R:

stack.jpg

Mark,

I still think this is a sexual image. Very simple but there. Just the Y of the thighs meeting the V . If it was a of a woman's face, it would already be considered a shrine and people would come to pray.

Asher

Last edited:

Mark Hampton

stack.jpg

R:

Mark,

I still think this is a sexual image. Very simple but there. Just the Y of the thighs meeting the V . If it was a of a woman's face, it would already be considered a shrine and people would come to pray.

Asher

Asher,

they be 'rules of the game' ... nice thought.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry; perhaps too intellectual for me. I think we can find yonic or phallic symbols anywhere we choose to and once someone says it is there, then of course, we see it. Otherwise, i just see a strip in the grass.

So probably for people with deeper vision than I, as I'm still at the level where something has to get me in my gut first.

It does one thing though, it kind of makes me feel ignorant and a bit stupid not to get that it is surely brilliant. I've certainly got a lot to learn. :p
nothing personal
Maggie

Robert Watcher

I'm sorry; perhaps too intellectual for me. I think we can find yonic or phallic symbols anywhere we choose to and once someone says it is there, then of course, we see it. Otherwise, i just see a strip in the grass.

So probably for people with deeper vision than I, as I'm still at the level where something has to get me in my gut first.

It does one thing though, it kind of makes me feel ignorant and a bit stupid not to get that it is surely brilliant. I've certainly got a lot to learn. :p
nothing personal
Maggie

I agree totally with your sentiments Maggie. I looked at the series of shots and I just don't get it - I may be at a disadvantage being I am not interested in looking for phalic (male) or yonic (female) symbols in them.

The only thing that I could possibly relate to "rules of the game" and grass and what I am seeing in this thread - - - is golf. Maybe a divot or getting off the path. And so even though I didn't get it when I looked at the post yesterday, and still don't get it with a few additional replies today - I am no more informed.

Asher Kelman

nothing personal
Maggie

Maggie,

One of things OPF tries to do is to have a broad reach. Photography has to do a lot of things, document what is true, show what is imagined, record the magic of a child at it's mother's breast or it's first bicycle ride or some eager young woman catching the bride's bouquet. So how does this work?

This is where Mark's interest in "reading images" becomes meaningful. You can find many teachers of photography describe how the eye enters your picture here and then moves to the next point of interest. It turns out that all the professors were wrong. Yes it appears we follow paths of interest, but we really don't. So this is what interests Mark,

"Just what makes us get our immediate and then considered reactions and understanding of images?"

He's used this to make his own art. He takes the risk that what he makes is nonsense. Yes it's really obscure to most of us much of the time! However, it's one branch of photography that can perhaps expose us to better understanding and therefore hone our own skills. Yes it's "academic", (even "pseudo-academic") and "artsy fartsy" combined. Still, we do need broad tolerance and welcoming of testing the boundaries of what we term photography. It includes treasuring classic silver gelatin, respecting pinhole and Holga work as well as reworking images we took years ago when we were different persons with other points of view.

I too sometimes find marks work beyond me, hence I have to see what I can in his work. So hence my remark on seeing nude in his Y mark. After all I'm seeing that in my studio right now. So that's my only connection. Maybe there's nothing more to connect too, but in making that jump, I realized some simplicity I might introduce in my own work.

So Maggie, don't let this bother you if you feel it's smartness above your head or crap beneath your feet. Those are reactions that are all viable. "Reading images", we thought we all understood, but now maybe we don't!

I wish I could say I can follow every single one of Mark's images, but I cannot. So you are not alone! Still, it's a valid and valuable part of the broad landscape we can make our journey in and pick up tools and resources on the way.

So, if you feel that most of this you can safely walk by, you will not be alone. Hopefully, there will be rare occasions when Marks work will give us an idea or insight worth taking with us.

Asher

Robert Watcher

I wish I could say I can follow every single one of Mark's images, but I cannot. So you are not alone! Still, it's a valid and valuable part of the broad landscape we can make our journey in and pick up tools and resources on the way.

I guess that for me - I can get when a photograph or work of art doesn't have to make sense to have value. I have no problem with that. I take many photographs that make no sense to people trying to figure out what is going on, and most of what I take is not preplanned but is a result of pointing my camera at whatever happens to be in front of me and capturing a pleasing composition and content. Everything doesn't have to be understood for others to appreciate or enjoy viewing it.

On the other hand - for me to enjoy or appreciate works of art or objects that do not make sense or do not appear to have much in the way of content or context or meaning or purpose - - - those pieces need to at least be visually appealing to me. That may be in a gentle or shocking or confusing way. All of the time I find art and photos like that that catch my eye and interest, and I have an appreciation for the work. I'm not trying to be nasty or judgemental with this set of photos - - - but they have no visual appeal to me either, and so I guess that is why I am hunting for something in the way of context or purpose to attach to the shots so that I can see where the value may be.

I also realize that photography is also about the act of producing something that only the photographer needs appreciate and love. That may be the case here from my perspective. Nothing against Mark at all - just my honest viewpoint.

Jerome Marot

nothing personal
Maggie

Now, Maggie, nothing personal here, but I find it puzzling when somebody does not understand someone who photographs a strip of grass yet have a personal web site with old garden furniture and dead leaves.

benchandredwall1.jpg

Yes, the picture is yours. I hope you don't mind me citing it from your web site.

Mark Hampton

nothing personal
Maggie

Maggie,

thanks for the feedback - the work is not brilliant in any sense. i like to make things that I like to think at. sometimes they work well and others I learn more from by the mistakes. this work is one i enjoyed thinking through and making. its lessons for me get carried forward in the work.

its slow to some and crap to others and meh to some readers. i am happy with that.

cheers

Mark Hampton

but they have no visual appeal to me either, and so I guess that is why I am hunting for something in the way of context or purpose to attach to the shots so that I can see where the value may be..

Robert,

does everything have to appeal to have value in a visual medium?

the purpose of the work is to make a small book of lazer prints to give away on day two of my workshop in Perth... in the fall

as Spain one the football and there is only 1 place left the cost has again gone up £2,300

cheers

Robert Watcher

Robert,

does everything have to appeal to have value in a visual medium?

cheers

I would say that it should have visual appeal - I think that is what the art of photography is all about - - - and if not, it better have a good story, purpose or motivation that is obvious. But please note, that that is just my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours.

Because a photograph has been taken and presented to someone, does not automatically make it either of any value or as thought-provoking. Every person on earth is currently snapping tons of shots each day and expect others to sit through the boredom of viewing these snapshots that they find pleasure in (whether in person or on Facebook or on their blogs). Doesn't even matter if they are good or not. They are snapshots that are really more of a waste of someones time than being a visual medium that stretches people's imaginations and creativity. I discard hundreds if not thousands of shots that don't exhibit those qualities (as well as many that do) every time I go out and shoot and come back to my work space and edit. Because a picture is taken, does not mean that it has any use or value other than to the person who took it.

Mark - I searched the forum and viewed some of your other posts - - - and there are some wierd and different images that you have posted that I can find pleasure in viewing. As I stated, as hard as I try - there is nothing in this set of images that even causes me to think or perceive differently than what is in front of me. I have no idea how them being printed as lazer copies and put in some kind of book would sway my opinion on that (I have customers and family showing me their homemade books containing their photos - on a regular basis - and it does nothing to excite me or make me want to dig deeper). I hope that you find success when you give them away to those who attend your seminar. It could well be that you have some personal appeal that would make those attending accept the book and go "wow" based on that.

This is strictly my viewpoint - - - one based on 35 years of full time professional work in the industry, but also based on my very liberal and open slant on things - and always pushing the boundaries of what I do to keep my work interesting for me. So technically - I should get it.

Anyway - it's been a blast engaging in this conversation (unfortunately no "smilies" on this forum to imply my intent - which you'll have to trust me, is not mean spirited).

Asher Kelman

You guys have sparked a lively discussion on approaches to work we find obscure and even obvious and impulsive Freudian explanations, so these "daughter posts" are moved here

This thread is for just The Rules, if you can play!

Asher

Last edited:

Mark Hampton

I would say that it should have visual appeal - I think that is what the art of photography is all about - - - and if not, it better have a good story, purpose or motivation that is obvious. But please note, that that is just my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours.

Robert - thanks for the answer. where does the appeal or non appeal of something visually come from do you think?

its ok I have put a :) on !

Robert Watcher

its ok I have put a :) on !

Heehee - - - I thought of doing that but didn't know if it would count or not.

To answer your question. It comes from my eyes, experience and ways of looking at things I suppose.

I personally am not an analyzer. I look at something and I like it or I don't. Sometimes I look back a second or third time and can develop an appreciation for something I may not have initially been fond of.

Mark Hampton

Heehee - - - I thought of doing that but didn't know if it would count or not.

To answer your question. It comes from my eyes, experience and ways of looking at things I suppose.

I personally am not an analyzer. I look at something and I like it or I don't. Sometimes I look back a second or third time and can develop an appreciation for something I may not have initially been fond of.

Robert,

it comes from your brain/mind then i guess from you. for me pictures can be consumed in an instant or engaged over time - sometimes both ways. So i think we agree on this.

i think that what we find appealing is different :)

cheers