• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carnival procession

Cem_Usakligil

Last/this week we have celebrated Carnival over here again. On the final day (ie Tuesday), there is a very long procession of all sorts of acts, groups, bands, individuals, what have you. Here are some random samples of what it looked like. (ps: I have also shown some night portraits taken during carnival 2 years ago, in case anybody's interested.)

f50435.jpg

f50464.jpg

f50797.jpg

f50982.jpg

f50378.jpg

fahim mohammed

Cem, what a wonderful and colorful occasion. I can imagine the kids ( young and old ) having a great time.

Your photographs indeed capture the feel to the place and event. Wonderful colors captured. What fl

lens were you using, if I may ask.

Thank you for sharing.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, what a wonderful and colorful occasion. I can imagine the kids ( young and old ) having a great time.

Your photographs indeed capture the feel to the place and event. Wonderful colors captured. What fl

lens were you using, if I may ask.

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Fahim for looking and commenting, it was the 70-200 L IS f4. Most pictures were taken at the wide end @f5.6, the EXIF data are embedded btw.

Hi Cem,

An amazing amount of work went into the construction of some of those huge displays, I imagine. Thanks for sharing an impression.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Helene, Ron and Bart.

@Bart: those procession "floats" take countless man hours to build. They already start some 9-10 months in advance with design and construction. They are built by clubs of people who spend their every free moment in the workshop trying to get it finished just in time (all voluntary work). The floats are huge and they have all sorts of moving parts. They are built around a theme each although this is not the same as the yearly changing motto of the carnival. The motto is announced on the 11th of November and 2-3 months is too short for the clubs to build a float in time according to the motto. Most of them choose themes relating to the local affairs and politics and many locally famous people are turned into caricatures/statues in those floats. They provide much more information to the locals compared to the outsiders who just admire the craftsmanship. The have categories according to sizes and winners are chosen in each category after the procession. I have many more pictures of various floats, let me see if can post some more tomorrow.