• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tin Drum; Train Spotting, Starry Night; Never Mind the Bollocks; Piffle

Title adapted from lines by a Liverpool pop poet. Not that it matters, but can't remember which one. Can anyone help me out?

Piffle_rose_DSC_1149_Snapseed_copy.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Sorry for the delayed reply, Asher. Last week of classes, preparing exams ....

As I remember it, a book of Liverpool poetry from my own student days simply listed classical composers alongside composer/performers of pop songs (e.g., Mozart; Beatles, Beethoven, Kinks ...). The poet's point was that art is art without need to differentiate between 'highbrow' or 'lowbrow', concepts that were commonplace at the time. I though of this poem in relation to recent discussion and subsequent postings on PIFFLE <http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14344>. My question to myself was: what art forms would that poet align with piffle?

What I came up with was punk, in its most general meaning of nonsense or foolishness. In fact, 1977 court ruling on whether bollocks on the Sex Pistols' album was an obscene term rejected that interpretation, referring to its vernacular meaning of nonsense that was usual from the 17-19th centuries. I also remember Steve Jobs' moving advocation to the 2005 graduating class at Stanford University to be "Hungry and Foolish" [my italics] and satisfied with no less. So the title of the image here aligns piffle with art forms that typify rejections of (then current) mainstreams in literature, painting and music.

Having got that out of the way, comments on the image would be appreciated. :)
Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Title adapted from lines by a Liverpool pop poet. Not that it matters, but can't remember which one. Can anyone help me out?

Piffle_rose_DSC_1149_Snapseed_copy.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

We see an apparent garbage container floating in a shallow pool of water. The surface is hit by the wind and the light to create interlocking reflective armor. This is a boat on a busy river, a Vaporetto on the sewage tinged beautiful canals of venice, leaves and debris washed along streams overflowing out of giant drainage pipes to pollute the beaches in the rain. There's a lot of quiet intensity one feels from the picture. For a moment we ask whether what we see in every facet of the water is not the images of soaked banknotes overwhelmed and sodden by the flood!

Asher

doug anderson

If this were a painting I'd say abstract expressionism. Since it is a photograph I am wondering if there are pampers in that bucket? Strange how our thinking, or generalizing affects the way we see. I like the photo just as it is, but I can't help wondering what's in the bucket.