• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A very big very old camera but new 2 me

Jim Galli

9-5X20_02s.jpg

abandoned mining bunk house, tonopah, nv

Not a terribly important picture, but the camera that made it is interesting. It was made early some time in the last century in India. It made a 10X20 inch panoramic on glass plates that size.

Hugo Zhang bought it from an importer and decided to update it with new film holders. He had Hoss at Chamonix camera make 7 of the most gorgeous film holders on earth. The camera is literally a pile of junk. The holders are worth perhaps 10 times what the camera is worth without them.

So Hugo custom made the holders to accept 9.5 X 20" Kodak Aerial Reconnaisance film. You roll the film out in the dark and cut it, and load it in the holders.

Here is the first successful exposure.

Yes, madness.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous and impressive!

Jim this is wonderful as you have an endless amount of that film. BTW, do they still make that width?

What lens do you have mounted?

Lastly, can we see the beast?

Asher

Jason Asher

Would love to see the monstrosity that created this image, and by the way I very much like the image itself. Surely cutting such large sheets of film in your darkroom/tent is a huge pain, but the results speak for themselves.