• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Soft focus shot of Cosmos

Dr Klaus Schmitt

455_P2350187_1280_1.jpg

Paul Abbott

A great image...the soft focus adds and doesn't subtract, it works well for such an image. Great to see you caught that ladybird on the petal too, that also lifts the shot.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Paul,

Is the lady bug the "3rd element"?

Asher

"Serendipity" is an important and often essential component to the creative photographer always ready and open to new experience and willing to turn on a dime and rethink according to split second changes in the wind, clouds, shadows and anything else that happens. The ability to exploit tiny, God-given transient visits by change, such as this pretty ladybug messenger, is a great asset for every one of us to master.

Otherwise, it's much harder to be photographing things that aren't actually there, such as mode, emotions and consequence.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Yes, that ladybird most definitely is, Asher. Now try to imagine it not being in the photograph, if so the impact is lessened.
Serendipity is a wonderful thing too, it can happen in 'street photography',and when it does it amazes everytime.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, that ladybird most definitely is, Asher. Now try to imagine it not being in the photograph, if so the impact is lessened.
Serendipity is a wonderful thing too, it can happen in 'street photography',and when it does it amazes everytime.

Thanks for the response, Paul. I like this recognition of the role of the humble ladybug and its role as "the 3rd element" of Bresson and Abbott!

Asher

Andy brown

I agree there's a third element happening here (lovely image Dr Klauss and a little left of centre for you), I find it quite dreamy, childlike and very engaging. It's not just the presence of the ladybird, that's just part of the whole mood.