• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Metz 58 Af-1 versus Canon 580EX II

Nuno Alexandre

Hi,
I purchased the metz blitz because it was cheaper and it can be firmware updated via usb.
The specs are au-pair with the 580exII as far as I can see.. but one thing is I cannot adjust the blitz settings from within the camera menu.. not so important..

My question is, if you have experience with using both the metz blitz and the canon 580exII, can you write what you think is 'best' or which one you liked better and why.

I can return it within 8 days, I'd like to get some feedback so I dont make a mistake with this purchase.

thanks in advance.

Jack_Flesher

I am in a similar situation, trying to decide between the two for my uses. In general I like Metz flash over just about anything else, preferring the UI and quality of the light they put out. However, Canon has always been somewhat proprietary with flash, and the best results with their bodies always seem to be had with their own units. Also, at least at present, the 580EXII has a rebate on and is actually about $30 less than the Metz 58 (B&H pricing). For these reasons, I am leaning toward the Canon myself...

Side note: I am actually considering the Canon 480EXII over the 580EXII: It is a bit smaller so I am more likely to actually have it in the bag when I need it, it is also $130 cheaper (patys for more than a few NiMH batteries), it recycles faster and has better battery life. Granted it is also just over 1/2 the power output at max as the 580, but coupled with my camera's high ISO capability I am not sure I will miss that <~1 stop advantage as I usually only use flash for fill anyway.

My .02,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nuno,

I too am impressed by the Metz but always am aware that Canon knows all it's tricks and unless you are using manual, all the autoexposure modes make use of Canon's experience and the sensors as they have designed them to work.

So I purchased the 580 EX confident it would immediately replace my STE2 for setting of my 560 EX flashes. Well, I opened the box, popped in the batteries to be stymied by the absence of the buttons to put the flash to master or to slave. I had 8 portraits in an hour and just put it aside to get familiar with the no doubt straightforward menu system.

All my pictures are fine and I have no complaints. IOW, it probably doesn't make much difference.

Unless you need the extra power and more waterproofing, I think that a used 550 EX or a new 480 EX will serve you just as well.

Asher

Clayton Lofgren

One advantage of the Metz is the secondary flash. It can be very handy as a fill while bouncing the main. I use a Promaster with the secondary. The Metz should be better, as it has more control over output.

Nuno Alexandre

ok, thanks everyone for your valuable feedback.
I already have a 430exII, but I was needed a master too :)

I'll keep the Metz am sure am making a great purchase.