• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Leica...100 years of

fahim mohammed

I watched this BBC documentary recently.

Like it or not, I believe Leica is 35mm photography.

While Leica marketing nowadays, might be harping more than required on its past...no denying it is a past that that has helped make iconic images of our world.

Leica is a part of photographic history and of past masters of photography. Sometimes I feel that operating a Leica, I and the past become one. I feel satisfied that I captured a moment with my Leica.

I also feel I have been seduced by Leica's marketing. In reality, I recognize that owning a Leica, to make images, does not automatically make my images anything more than snaps.

But the hope lives on...

Leica..the first 100 years

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Leica is a part of photographic history and of past masters of photography. Sometimes I feel that operating a Leica, I and the past become one. I feel satisfied that I captured a moment with my Leica.

To own a (real) Leica is a wonderful thing indeed.

Leica is indeed "miniature photography".

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I watched this BBC documentary recently.

Like it or not, I believe Leica is 35mm photography.

While Leica marketing nowadays, might be harping more than required on its past...no denying it is a past that that has helped make iconic images of our world.

I also feel I have been seduced by Leica's marketing. In reality, I recognize that owning a Leica, to make images, does not automatically make my images anything more than snaps.

But the hope lives on...

Leica..the first 100 years

Fahim,

You have bragging rights for owning a Leica. there's no doubt in my mind that Leica glass packs in some of the finest rendering of images and so for small format, like the 35mm full frame, using genuine Leica glass might very well be more efficient.

But Leica has bragging rights beyond their quality of optics and perfection in machining solid bars of metal into a precision camera that has made much of the body of celebrated photography in the pasy 100 years. The Leica family put itself on the line by actor as did Oscar Schindler, and risking everything by trying to save as many Jews from the gas chambers of Hitler as possible by creating jobs for them as salesmen abroad. So the nobility one commonly recognizes in the Leica company is not merely great engineering, ( there was no dearth of that in Audi, Siemens and tens of thousands of other German enterprises that used slave laborers to death during the Nazi era. Mercedes even built the gas chambers in the crematoria to dispose of the bodies 24 hours a day.

Leica stands out as amongst the most noble of those at that time who's moral compasses were not pulled off course by the racist teachings and the Nazi use of these teachings.

So when I see a Leica, even one I cannot afford, I feel a sense of wonder at this one family who has maintained a moral compass despite the tides of hate and despotism that tried to consume us.

Thus, today, I am thrilled to see Leica viable, making new lenses and holding its own as a fine company, carrying on traditions to not fall every time for expediency.

Asher

Doug Kerr

It is interesting that Leica is credited with the practical introduction (for still photography) of the 35-mm double-frame format (nominally 36 mm × 24 mm).

Of course later the single-frame format (18 mm × 24 mm), introduced for still photography, became known as the "half frame" format.

After that, the 36 mm × 24 mm format was occasionally described as the "35-mm full frame format" (more precisely, the "135 film full-frame format"). Then, with the advent of digital photography, it became the "full-frame" format.

In the words of Craig Ferguson, "Tomorrow's just your future yesterday."

Language is a wonderful thing.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Doug, Asher...

I think it is very good that Leica is branching out and experimenting with different items ( the ' T ' e.g. ).

The ' M ' crowd is dying off--literally. And Leica have to start appealing to an audience other than old
farts like me, collectors and a relatively small number of ' M ' lovers.

Best to you both.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug, Asher...

I think it is very good that Leica is branching out and experimenting with different items ( the ' T ' e.g. ).

The ' M ' crowd is dying off--literally. And Leica have to start appealing to an audience other than old
farts like me, collectors and a relatively small number of ' M ' lovers.

Best to you both.

For sure, but the S series needs to be a lot quieter and have a better range of shutter speeds! The T needs a sophisticated hybrid electronic and optical viewfinder too!

It will happen. As a start, they have the new lens mount and a sculpted modern looking body. Let's hope it's just the start!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

For sure, but the S series needs to be a lot quieter and have a better range of shutter speeds! The T needs a sophisticated hybrid electronic and optical viewfinder too!

It will happen. As a start, they have the new lens mount and a sculpted modern looking body. Let's hope it's just the start!

It all depends on whether the restaurant owner knows that ultimately success will come from the kitchen.

Best regards,

Doug