• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I Chat: now for joint work on web design or other project

Asher Kelman said:
iChat...http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

How much of this is novel and is it practical?

Nothing is novel. But with Apple behind it it may practical/simple to use. Windows has had Remote Desktop for years allowing someone to remotely control your system while you talk on the phone. While this aspect was intended for technical support in a corporate environment, it could be used for other things too.

But in the end, having the Taj Mahal behind me while I talk with someone over a webcam is a gimic, not a tool.

As to web collaboration using the telephone (superior audio over landlines) and both simply looking at files on the same webserver (and modifying and uploading) has been around since the web began.

my $0.02,

Sean

Sid Jervis

pro member
Sean DeMerchant said:
Nothing is novel. But with Apple behind it it may practical/simple to use. Sean
Apple have a knack of taking something and making it available/understandable to non computer savvy folk.
That same product can be switched into geek mode, they do this very well.

Take iMovie HD, it can run as a full blown system, or run as "Make a magic movie".

Stan Jirman

The functionality has been around for a while as Apple Remote desktop. It's now just easy to use, and part of a standard system and thus "cheaper". It will also work better with firewalls, where ARD currently has some issues.

Alain Briot

pro member
Sid Jervis said:
Take iMovie HD, it can run as a full blown system, or run as "Make a magic movie".

Which is nice, no? For the new user, it offers a non-intimidating way into a new medium, or new software. I know several people who started making movies with iMovie then moved on to Final Cut Pro. You can also do wonderful things with iPhoto, even though it is not Photoshop, such as publish books for example... And Garage Band is a great applications for podcasting and sound editing. In my eyes, Apple is doing something right there. iPhoto will never replace Photoshop, nor iMovie Final Cut pro, but they are attractive in their own rights.

Sid Jervis

pro member
Stan Jirman said:
The functionality has been around for a while as Apple Remote desktop. It's now just easy to use, and part of a standard system and thus "cheaper". It will also work better with firewalls, where ARD currently has some issues.
Yes that is true, ARD in all it's versions still has people in knots with their firewall configuration.
Because ARD has a tech' target market, that is not too much of an issue.
Now this is going mainstream, Apple should have sorted the "pain" so that non tech' savvy folk can use it.

Having recently helped an 80 year old lady start computing (well Skype and web browsing), the Apple route was the only way to go. She is happy, it all works and I don't get support calls !