• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Soccer shots

David McKinny

This is my first attempt to post pictures, I hope I get this right. I started shooting my daughter's soccer team this fall with my first DSLR. Here are three shots that seemed to come out well. Let me know what you think.
1:
3101200951_ea8038d536.jpg

2:
3102037092_68e2f5782d.jpg

3:
3102036934_a616f374a1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi David,

Yes, these are great for first try with a DSLR! You can post larger images if you wish. 600 pixels wide or so would be great for these. I'm not any sports photographer, but I do appreciate how valuable the images are for the team and family. You've pretty well nailed the exposure* For some reason these images appear to be clipped in the highlights and shadows. Did you use something like Picasa to process them?

The pictures are still nice. You are trying to catch peak action and you are doing a great job tracking the players. If you give the details of what you are using and how your camera is set then the sports guys will give some feedback!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

*Still, you might use a fill in flash or else use the highlight/Shadow tool in Photoshop to open up the shadows in the faces.

David McKinny

Alfraid,
The shot looks far worse that it was, there was really no hard contact. But I know what you mean, it does look painful.

Asher,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm still such a newbie that I am not sure what the cause is. There are so many firsts in these shots, first time with camera, first time with lens, first time with PSE, first time with RAW, first time with Flickr....etc.

Here is basically what I did. Shot in RAW, processed in ACR/PSE6. Basically I did all my processing in ACR and only cropped and resized in PSE. Uploaded the shots to Flickr and then linked to the post.

Either I messed up with the resizing somehow, or I need to learn more about what Flickr is doing to the files. Of course it could be that I just went too far with ACR to begin with, but that is why I am here, to learn ;-)

Andy brown

David,
The shots are great.
I'm guessing your daughter is on the team.
But what a team!
I've coached a bit of Junior soccer( I've had some good teams and some shockers).
There is plenty of commitment and ability on display in these images. Well done.

Is the opposition player in the first pic a bit of a gun?

David McKinny

Andy,
Thanks for the comments. Yes my daughter is on the team, she is in the second and third shots (dark blue). I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "bit of a gun", can you educate me?

A bit of background, my daughter has played on the same team as both girls in the first pic. The player in yellow was a team-mate a couple of years ago, the player in blue is a current team-mate. The former team-mate was a coaches favorite and a bit of a butterfly watcher, she giggled a lot during games. However, she had an amazing ability to be in the right place at the right time, especially in front of the opposing goal. The current team-mate usually plays center-mid, and is arguably the best player on the team. She is very quiet, very serious, and can dribble the ball through 2-3 opposing players consistently.

Sincerely,
David