• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: You don’t need expensive equipment to create memories.

Nigel Allan

You just need appropriate gear. This is no place for an expensive DSLR. These were taken on holiday in Sweden in August with my Olympus mju 725 waterproof camera. We took the kids whitewater rafting down a river in the north of Sweden where the water is clean enough to drink, and probably much cleaner than city water you get through your tap

P8070146.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: Rapids ahoy! - 300m ahead

I purposely did not correct the horizon here, because that's the reality of sitting in a dinghy and trying row in this river. Everything is off kilter and I was lucky to get any shots at all since you need both hands.

P8070179.jpg

2. Nigel Allan: Elisabet, my wife bailing out the dinghy

whitewaterraftingSweden4_DCE.jpg

3. Nigel Allan: Yes, Montana, the water’s a bit nippy at first

whitewaterraftingSweden7_DCE-1.jpg

4. Nigel Allan: Yes, Marcus, the river water really is potable

Nigel Allan

A few more from that day out
If you have children, then try at some point in their lives to take them whitewater rafting. They’ll remember it the rest of their lives

P8070131.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: Calm water between rapids

whitewaterraftingSweden6_DCE.jpg

2. Nigel Allan: Cooling off in the river

P8070186.jpg

3. Nigel Allan: All 3 kids having the time of their lives

Nigel Allan

Thanks Rachel. There are no actual shots of going through the rapids since you need both hands to row like mad and it is HARD WORK and the boat is being thrown all over the place, but great fun

Nigel Allan

Apart from getting the odd water droplets on the lens that obscure the image, you can't beat a waterproof/shockproof camera like this for fun in the sea and rivers. Now I see there are a few waterproof camcorders on the market too...so next time we take a holiday at the sea or somewhere like this I will probably get one of those.

P8070151_DCE.jpg

1. Nigel Allan: whitewater rafting, north Sweden a

whitewaterraftingSweden1_DCE.jpg

2. Nigel Allan: whitewater rafting, north Sweden b

P8070130_DCE.jpg

3. Nigel Allan: whitewater rafting, north Sweden c

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
P8070186.jpg

Nigel Allan: All 3 kids having the time of their lives

This is just perfection! Great smiles and a lot of love! Lovely family and wonderful time had by all. Very enjoyable for me to see this. I guess that water must be pretty cold but not fast flowing.

This is the best advert for this waterproof camera! What other choices are there that you chose this Olympus?

Asher

Nigel Allan

P8070186.jpg

Nigel Allan: All 3 kids having the time of their lives

This is just perfection! Great smiles and a lot of love! Lovely family and wonderful time had by all. Very enjoyable for me to see this. I guess that water must be pretty cold but not fast flowing.

This is the best advert for this waterproof camera! What other choices are there that you chose this Olympus?

Asher

Thank you very much Asher. The river is pefect for taking a family through rapids since it is slow flowing in places and then very fast through the rapids for about 10 minutes each time. In this stretch there are three sets ofr rapids you go through to get to the end and be driven back to your car. The water only seemed cold at first, but actually was very pleasant to cool off in the height of summer.

When I purchased the Olympus I think it was either the first or the only one which was truly waterproof and shockproof at the time. My only criteria to be honest was that it was truly waterproof. I took lovely shots with it in Hawaii and Tenerife too of the kids playing in the waves from the vantage point of also being in the breaking waves with them.

For me photography is not necessarily about 'art' but catching the moment and freezing that moment int time. Each time I look at these I relive that day in my mind.