• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Kids School Day Out

Ian kydd'Miller

8909602662_8ddce191fb_b.jpg

8908978113_faca39bee0_b.jpg

Martin Stephens

Some cute subjects that would be served by better technique. Shooting down on kids is not very attractive, and the amount of distracting b/g hasn't been handled well. The technique here is just too casual. But again, cute kids.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Some cute subjects that would be served by better technique. Shooting down on kids is not very attractive, and the amount of distracting b/g hasn't been handled well. The technique here is just too casual. But again, cute kids.

Martin,

In that circumstance I'd be at f1.4 with a 50mm lens or 2.8 on the 70-200, so the b.g would be blurred and then optimized the foreground subjects with curves and sharpening in PS. I might darken the b.g. a tad.

So how would you take those subjects. Would you manouver to have the b.g. clear or just wait for the clear opportunity to get it right and forgo other "opportunities".

Regards,

Asher

Martin Stephens

Martin,

In that circumstance I'd be at f1.4 with a 50mm lens or 2.8 on the 70-200, so the b.g would be blurred and then optimized the foreground subjects with curves and sharpening in PS. I might darken the b.g. a tad.

So how would you take those subjects. Would you manouver to have the b.g. clear or just wait for the clear opportunity to get it right and forgo other "opportunities".

Regards,

Asher
I rarely if ever shoot kids because I have trouble getting down low enough (horrible knees). But yes, you need to be eye-level, and use a wide open lens to isolate the subject from the busy b/g. To keep it spontaneous you may not be able to wait for empty b/g. That's why you want to shoot at f/1.4. A 35mm lens would be great. You have to watch out for super bright light in the b/g which will also ruin the shot even if the b/g is OOF.

Yes, there are ways to shoot down on kids and make it work sometimes. But unless handled perfectly it doesn't often look attractive.

This is also a good case to make for fast primes over zoom kit lenses. Many kit lenses just aren't fast enough.

And of course, this is just an opinion based on my sensibilities. Styles vary!

Martin Stephens

Asher,

Here's the same problem I had. After shooting this, I wished I had been able to get to his eye-level. The photo would have been better by far. This is why I don't shoot kids often. I'd like to, but can't.

DSCF3205_zps59812ee8.jpg