• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Shooting An Helicopter With Nicolas Claris Without A Pentax 645D!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We've seen elegant boats and industrial ships shot from a helicopter by Nicolas claris. Nigel suggested a quest for a picture of Nicolas Claris in his helicopter! Well, we have to believe it could very well be Nicolas in the helicopter in the picture from the article here.

What's amazing about this picture is that we have no proof that the helicopter is not a toy flying close to the photographer, but I'm assured that's really the scale of the helicopter that carries Nicolas as he chases million dollar yachts off the southern French Coast, the turquoise Southern Coast of Turkey, the Sea of Marmara or else in other exotic blue seas around Bermuda!

91AU6899_Velsheda_Helico.jpg

© Nicolas Claris - Velsheda, a 100 year old splendor, beautifully maintained by her owner (at the helm)

This predates the 645D, but is still very impressive! The 645D would, no doubt give a softer background and so push up the presence of the boat and 'copter! :)

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Wow The Internet and OPF are well loaded!
Some precisions though:
This is an image shot my me flying the exactly same helicopter (carrying another photographer) with a 1Ds 3…

nicolas claris

Bill Parlatore did shoot me while working in the Bahamas…
The boat was running at about 25 knots (22 Mph)

_DSC0197.jpg

_DSC0074.jpg

_DSC0139.jpg

At least one can see my feet!

_DSC0158.jpg

And below is the result of the shot (well one of the images):

_G8A6014_Bahamas_NC.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Nicolas, it really looks like it is exciting. I guess you must get a quite a surge of adrenaline and the final result is spectacular, just like all your other shots!
:)
Maggie

nicolas claris

Hi Maggie
Exciting? yes always and for all kind of shoot.
I like that precise moment when I look thru the viewfinder and have to decide for the precise framing and when to hit the shutter button. Always.

Adrenaline? not in that shooting session, it was more ahead thought, calm, precise. The boat crew had been clearly briefed before the take off (I have no possibility to talk to them while flying).
Adrenaline? Yes sometimes, like when the weather conditions are "stronger" than expected…

B_45R4265_SHIPMAN80_C1_35.jpg

Extracted from this thread

or…
_45R2246_V2.jpg

But this was not shot from an helicopter! (and I kept a pro photographer behavior)

Asher Kelman

Hi Maggie
Exciting? yes always and for all kind of shoot.
I like that precise moment when I look thru the viewfinder and have to decide for the precise framing and when to hit the shutter button. Always.

Adrenaline? not in that shooting session, it was more ahead thought, calm, precise. The boat crew had been clearly briefed before the take off (I have no possibility to talk to them while flying).
Adrenaline? Yes sometimes, like when the weather conditions are "stronger" than expected…

B_45R4265_SHIPMAN80_C1_35.jpg

Extracted from this thread

or…
_45R2246_V2.jpg

But this was not shot from an helicopter! (and I kept a pro photographer behavior)

I return to this mesmerizing girl! How does one get eyes like that?

Is this a special post processing feat or she is that radiant!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Genetics! ( ? )

You're probably right, Jerome!

I can't imagine Nicolas selecting the whites to make them brighter or sharper the substructure of the iris.

Perhaps more eyes could appear just like that, carefully focusing, but we maybe do not focus our eyes as sharply as the camera?

If it was my picture, be sure I made it look like that. Nicolas is far more straightforward and honest!

Asher