Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Macintosh

Macintosh All Power PC and Intel platforms.

Old September 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Default lost files

OK... here is what happened. I got the auto update notification from Apple. I was not interested to do it then so cancelled out of it. It went but my desktop refreshed & everything on it disappeared.... no trace.

Anyone got a solution.....

Thanks,

PB
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM

That obviously shouldn't happen. I don't know why there would be a connection between declining a software update and having your desktop corrupted.

I'd be tempted to reboot single user (reboot, holding S while the machine comes up) then run fsck. Single user mode conveniently gives instructions. That checks the filesystem at the lowest level, then if that doesn't help I guess I'd try repair permissions and such in Disk Utility.

Backups available?

Aaron
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM

As Aaron said above. Oftentimes, the Finder simply lies about what's there, which is an old problem and nuisance, but only a miracle will give us a better Finder. That's not helping you...

If you really lost files, this app works pretty well:

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

You can try it on a few files and only if it works you have to shell out the dough. Saved me a few files...

In case it is Finder having a brain fart, which I would not be surprised about, you may want to consider this. In Terminal, type:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem 1

Then log out and back in, and you'll have a Quit menu item for Finder. When you think it's lying to you, such as with network file systems but also in general, simply quit and re-launch it and you'll get a fresh look at the filesystem :)

Yes, it would be nice if there was a simple "Refresh" or such menu item, but clearly this is more user friendly :)