Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Macintosh

Macintosh All Power PC and Intel platforms.

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Default Beware of iMac monitors

I ordered the 20" version and will take delivery next week, then found this info. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1093045 I love my iMac and this one was to run PS and other same type apps. only. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks, Roland
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:14 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Allemand View Post
I ordered the 20" version and will take delivery next week, then found this info. http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1093045 I love my iMac and this one was to run PS and other same type apps. only. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks, Roland
Roland,

My first response was "Nonsense" as I have never noticed this issue with the new 20" iMac. However, now I realize the whole point of the whirly pattern screensaver, in that it effectively obscures any gradient in lighting!

Yes, there is a subtle gradient, brighter to the left and now it is pointed out I am a little disturbed. The width of the screen also hides to extent of the dramatic differences in illumination. However I do all my critical adjustments:

1. Using a profiled 21" Eizo CG20 LCD monitor

2. Never anyway use borders of any screen.

3. Use the central area preferable since that is where the screen profile was made.

I find the iMac so wonderfully made, that I can put up with the illumination issue. Just need to have the whiel background and windows limited to about 65% of the width of the screen and then no gradient is appreciated

The OPF web page is 9" wide and for that centered, there is no obvious gradient right to left.

One can expand that page to ~12" and still not notice the right side being darker, however, it really is I'd guess a stop lighter.

Putting a white strip across the screen in photoshop gives measurements of 255,255,255 for RGB all the across the screen from left to right!

So the data mapped out to the screen for display is constant but the emission is not!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Well my buddy, Martin Evening had an awful time trying to calibrate one of the new iMac's. It suspect its the glass surface in front of the actual LCD, not sure. So I don't think this is an isolated case.
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Allemand View Post
On a side note, interesting, this site was loading very slowly and XP Sp2 warned me that this site runs a script that causes windows to slow down and eventually comes to a standstill, then gave me the option to deactivate the script.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Georg, I'd be suspicious that you are dealing with a malicious code you picked up from somewhere else. vBulletin is designed to be run on all Windows computers!

They just want you to click on a deactivate button.

I suggest you immediately run an antivirus software on all you drives and also your CF cards.

Still, I'd drop a PM to Sean DeMerchant and let him know of the issue and my response.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Inactive

Just to be clear, that message came when I clicked on the link to the apple discussion forum. But you're right, I'll do a complete check today, thanks.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
Just to be clear, that message came when I clicked on the link to the apple discussion forum. But you're right, I'll do a complete check today, thanks.
Nothing to worry about, same happens on my box.
That Apple Discussions page (for some reason) needs to download over a thousand 'items', and leaves a script running that consumes a lot of processing power. Finally Windows gives a warning, and allows to disable that script to avoid the browser from becoming 'unresponsive'.

Just a case of poor programming on their part.

Bart
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM
pro member

my MacPro/leopard/firfox crashed after following the link .. but just take it as an anecdote ..

regarding the iMac, I think that if you want to do photography work for a leaving you should consider getting a separate set up, I have limited resources, so I know how does it feel when they point to you the gear you should be using. On positive side, there are very inexpensive displays that you can upgrade later.

The other way to see it is to edit the images using numbers, and yet another way is to use a second display for color correction connected to the iMac...