• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Can you repair this beautiful Marin Quail'a damaged b.g.

A friend sent this to me and asked if I would use PS to remove the difuse reflections of green leaves from the picture. My PS skills and/or patience aren't great enough to undertake the task at this time. However, I'm not sure the green blur doesn't enhance rather than detract from the image. She doesn't expect this to be an award winner, but would like to use it on a calendar.

1. Leave the green blur or remove it?

2. If "remove it", suggestions on the best technique to do so?

Thanks.

MarinQuail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is "almost" a fantastic shot, marred as you point out, by the out-of-focus green leaves that are in the foreground.

I personally have no problem with removing those areas, which would dramatically improve the picture, as long as it is not mis-represented as being an unaltered shot.

As to the tools, the cloning tool would be the most useful, although I think the newest version of Photoshop (CS5), may have something newer and more automated to use in this context. I'm still with CS4, so am not as familiar with that.

Anyone with CS5 that can provide some input here?

Eric Diller

This is "almost" a fantastic shot, marred as you point out, by the out-of-focus green leaves that are in the foreground.

I personally have no problem with removing those areas, which would dramatically improve the picture, as long as it is not mis-represented as being an unaltered shot.

As to the tools, the cloning tool would be the most useful, although I think the newest version of Photoshop (CS5), may have something newer and more automated to use in this context. I'm still with CS4, so am not as familiar with that.

Anyone with CS5 that can provide some input here?
Don,
I have CS5 I the feature that is new is content - aware. Works very well once you get use to it.

I have CS5. The one single feature that is nothing short of fabulous is the "content aware" fill. I use it extensively. By itself, it was worth the price of the upgrade. However, it doesn't seem to work with this particular photo. Either that or I don't really know how to use it yet.

Doug Herr

This is beyond my PS skills. Given the the bird's head isn't in focus I'd consider the photo to be among the many 'almost, but not quite'.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is beyond my PS skills. Given the the bird's head isn't in focus I'd consider the photo to be among the many 'almost, but not quite'.

I see that now, Doug!

Still, today there are algorithms in Photoshop CC to address even that. Let's what folk might be able to do. That's why it's a challenge!

Asher

Actually, "Howard" (that's me) hasn't been looking for a better picture. In the original post, I mentioned it had been sent to me by a friend (who isn't a photographer) with a request to "save it". I was looking for suggestions on an appropriate technique for killing the green. I've got a few that I could use, but I'm confident someone more experienced in PS has better ones.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I would have been thrilled to have observed this bird .......and even thought about recipes for both correcting the image as well as cooking a feast!

Nature is bountiful! ? ?

Asher