• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sammy in Circles

Took this down by the lake last week. It looks better bigger.

Cheers
Mike
Sammy_DSC5291_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Michael,

You have a nice wide lens. Great color and composition. There's curvature of the horizon! Wonderful dog!

Asher

16mm fisheye lens with 'full-frame' sensor size, Asher. I 'm figuring out how to tame fisheye effects without cropping or post-processing. What that means are decisions not to photograph otherwise enticing scenes with peripheral objects that would look out-of-place with extreme curvature. So each photo requires thought about composition additional to that with a more rectilinear lens.

This photo came about by chance. I'd decided on a photo of the lake with some curvature of the horizon to add interest and the angles of the reeds not too incongruous. Then Sammy jumped in and started splashing about. The ripples she made complemented the curvature I hoped to convey.

And you're right, she is a wonderful dog. Someone dumped her in our neighbourhood a couple of years ago, evidently not wanting a bitch that had just had pups. I found her foraging in garbage and with some guile managed to catch her. She was a physical mess then but a happy dog now.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited: