• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Another Protest In Cali

Peter Dexter

There is a dyke that runs for seventeen kilometers along the east side of the city of Cali that protects half the city from potential flooding by the Rio Cauca (Cauca River). Since the last years of the 1980's individuals and familiys have arrived from outlying areas some displaced by the war between the government and the FARC guerrilla and others, the majority seeking the economic benefit a big city can offer. The phenomena increased eponencially and today there are almost 9,000 families living on the dyke illegaly in structures made from cheap or junked lumber, bamboo etc. They are squatters and connect illegaly to the citie's electric and water service.The phenomenal growth is not spontaneous but encouraged by low level politicians who in exchange for making promises of legalizing the "invasiones" can count on thousands of votes from these people. One resident said this a great place to live, you don't have to pay rent, services or any taxes, it's completely free so what you can earn is all yours.

The structures on the dyke represent an extremely serious threat that could cause it's collapse in case of severe flooding producing effects like the flooding of New Orleans in 2005. The city for more than a year has been trying to move these people off the dyke to other residences. More often than not the people rent out their city supplied residence and move back to the dyke.

To date however the city has managed to eliminate (bulldoze) 70% of the habitations on the dyke. This last week a group of residents arrived with tents and camped at the entrance to city hall protesting the cities intervention to save the dyke. I swung by and took some photos.

29809613498_8812bc3022_b.jpg

28790469247_94b1e264e0_b.jpg

29809623358_d4e7a8bb6a_b.jpg

43679508141_afdf01a62c_b.jpg

42962980124_c47611a42b_b.jpg

James Lemon

A prudent person would build a home on high ground. But since they invented flood insurance folk think they can live anywhere.

Jerome Marot

One resident said this a great place to live, you don't have to pay rent, services or any taxes, it's completely free so what you can earn is all yours.

I am afraid that I have very little sympathy for people who endanger the lifes of thousands, just because it saves them taxes or generally improves their bottom line.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

Do you have a link to this Dyke. It’s amazing for me to think it could House some 9,000 families! What is this history of this structure and what is its form?

I tried to find it on the web, but failed.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I need a translation, LOL!

I don’t comprehend the structure that can “contain” 9000 families!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Asher there are a series of villages individually named established now on that dike which is only 60 meters wide. It is hard to imagine but can be seen from the aerial photos taken by the El Pais newspaper. At one point recently the city managed to move about 1250 families into the city but those people complained they were subject to violence and went back to living on the dike. While violence was the excuse they often rented out the digs they were given and made money on the deal.

Asher Kelman

Asher there are a series of villages individually named established now on that dike which is only 60 meters wide. It is hard to imagine but can be seen from the aerial photos taken by the El Pais newspaper. At one point recently the city managed to move about 1250 families into the city but those people complained they were subject to violence and went back to living on the dike. While violence was the excuse they often rented out the digs they were given and made money on the deal.

An amazing story, Peter!

We immediately feel for the poor and dispossessed. However, they each are going to plan from their own self-interest. I understand the rental opportunity is too lucrative for them to give up. Just that fiddle can provide economic security.

I can’t get a grip though on how services like sewage management, fresh water distribition and health care get taken care of outside of city resources!

These are monumental issues. Who are the police there and how is property and personal safety managed? Do they develop social structures for any entertainment, discipline, education and tackling common problems?

Asher

Jerome Marot

I can’t get a grip though on how services like sewage management, fresh water distribition and health care get taken care of outside of city resources!

The article makes explains that there is no sewage management and that the river suffers as a consequence.

Peter Dexter

Yes the river would be the recipient of waste water. As to drinking water I think they hook up illegally to city supplied water just as they hook up illegally to electricity. As this squatter settlement has been there a long time I'm sure there are some small health services located on the dike. I think the police pretty much stay out of there unless called in for something major. I think they pretty much self regulate. There are many invasions of public land on the hillsides west of Cali and invasion attempts continue. There is now a special police unit dedicated to trying to stop new attempts. There are many illegal activities (apart from drugs) the police try to control but can't. One big one is the illegal gold mining in the national park in the mountains above the city. Not only is there general environmental damage but also mercury is introduced into the the creeks that form the Rio Cali that runs through the city. This mining is sponsored by mafias and even FARC guerrilla.